Author Topic: Another turbine with leftover supplies and a Midnite Classic. Will it work.  (Read 2172 times)

Watt

I have 40 n42 2"x1"x0.5" magnets ( found on top of fridge, how I ever misplaced them is beyond me ) 3 rolls of 200c 14awg wire ( just at 10 lbs each ) and a roll of 200c 16awg wire ( just over 9 lbs ) left over and would like to build one last turbine.  I was thinking I could build a 12 foot Dan's or Hugh's machine.  I was also thinking I could just use as much wire as possible and use all 40 magnets and build a larger rotor machine and play with blade sizes.  Has anyone built a dual 20 magnet rotor with these smaller magnets with some successful results?  I would build it for a 48 volt battery charging turbine using two 24v 1000a/h forklift tractions batteries.  I have one battery bought and delivered and will have the second delivered in a few weeks.  Thank you all for your awesome support and advice.  

« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 02:26:21 AM by Watt »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
A 20 pole machine with those magnets will work fine. You will be looking at something over 14ft so make sure you base it on a hub that will carry a decent size prop.

The snag with building the alternator first and making a prop to suit is that you don't have a cut in speed to base your turns on.

I suspect you could start with a cut in of 100rpm as a good starting point for something like 14ft.

Flux

Watt

Thank you Flux.  I will build a rotor as close to what I think is right and start on a coil and 100rpm.  This ought to be good.  Thanks again.

Watt

I have built my two rotors using 3/8" or just under 10mm thick plates.  They are just over 16 3/4" or 425.5mm diameter with the bottom of the magnets in a 12.75" or 324mm circle 20 magnets 1" or 25.4mm wide.  

My next question is should I try and hit the cut-in rpm of 100 or as the Dan's suggest in their book of 20% over being 120rpm unloaded and maybe 50v rectified?

Thank you

* edit note *  Looks like I will be rebuilding the rotors.  I've been playing with the coils and to have enough room while using 14awg wire, I will need a change.  So, I will be making just under 20" or 508mm diameter rotors.  That will give me around .25" or 6mm more in diameter per coil and I think enough for 14awg wire.  This is sticking with the coil winder I made for my 10 footer.

Hmmm...  
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 01:10:54 AM by Watt »

Watt

I have built my rotors but yet to install the magnets, still have to remove from the last set of rotors.  I am holding off to build the stator, yet to determine the coil specs, as I have purchased a Midnite Classic 150 for this turbine.  I'm still in the middle of researching optimal voltage yield for this controller.  Also hoping I will have a little more experimental room for blade size and type with the Classic which may allow me to run a faster Dan's style blade and use a " clipper " of sorts to control top end.  Anyway.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 06:16:59 PM by Watt »