Author Topic: FINALLY DID IT!  (Read 890 times)

motoman465

FINALLY DID IT!
« on: July 01, 2007, 10:21:31 PM »
I feel like a kid on Christmas morning!  I bought a cheap ceiling fan from Wal-Mart and got some 1/2" x 1/8" neo discs from e-bay and finally put them together and it worked.  With just a little hand turn one phase showed around 16 volts ac and the other around 10 or 11.  Thanks for the inspiration Quaz and thanks to everyone who helps to make this site a reality!  I want to build bigger and better now...LOL!  When people call me insane, I am going to blame it on everyone here!  I will get some pics as soon as I can.  Thanks, again!

Todd

« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 10:21:31 PM by (unknown) »

stephent

Re: FINALLY DID IT!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 08:45:28 PM »
    Quite a rush ain't it?

Next is getting it mounted, tail, blades, etc.

THEN when it's spinning 3 days after ya get it up (normal 3 day wait for wind to come back after getting genny in air) and it's making some juice, you have another rush!

Then it's on to batts--controler and the rush of hooking an inverter up to the whole thing and lighting that first bulb or gizmo lit up.

After dozens the Dan's have done, I bet they still get that warm fuzzy feeling after each. Maybe this is one of the  major charms of RE. (along with the addictive powers of--I DID IT! and want to do it again!)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 08:45:28 PM by stephent »

Spdlmt150

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 09:29:24 PM »

Welcome to the addiction!

All of my neighbors called me insane until the power was out for four days. The second day, I was kicked back on the couch watching a movie & my neighbor from across the street (the one who made the most comments) brought her beer over to put it in my fridge.

Told her there's a beer every 2 hours storage charge for that one. She could stay for the movie for double that.

It only becomes more fun from here.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 09:29:24 PM by Spdlmt150 »

coldspot

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 12:43:13 AM »
Wecome-

Theres NO turning back now!

Just turning stuff off or down and learning to use less while making more!

:)

"stephent"-

"Quite a rush ain't it?"

I've made sure to not hold any thing to get one of those!!!

LOL

I've had plenty and more  for sure!

:)

« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 12:43:13 AM by coldspot »
$0.02

motoman465

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 03:44:33 AM »
Hmmm, beer for power...sure would work for me!

Todd

« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 03:44:33 AM by motoman465 »

luv2weld

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 07:09:34 AM »
Welcome to the madness!!!

This is one disease that we wish everybody would catch!!!!

Ralph

« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 07:09:34 AM by luv2weld »
The best way to "kill time" is to work it to death!

phil b

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 07:51:19 AM »
Todd,

I regret to inform you there is no known cure for this disease. It's had me in it's clutches for years. :))

"All of my neighbors called me insane..."

My neighbors are wanting to buy mine and others want me to build a grid tie unit!

Have Fun!

Phil

« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 07:51:19 AM by phil b »
Phil

s4w2099

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 11:04:48 AM »
what model did you get? I am interested in making a HV mill and I am studying my options.

Thank you

« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 11:04:48 AM by s4w2099 »

motoman465

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 12:48:49 PM »
I don't remember which model I got.  Wal Mart had it on special for $18.88.  Once I looked at the inside I knew the magnets would be too far away from the coils so I began my search for something of the correct diameter to fit inside and move the magnets closer to the coils.  I took some measurements and off to one of my favorite places, the local 'you pull it' yard.  I ended up with a water pump pulley from a Ford Windstar with the 3.8.  Only one problem yet, how to center the pulley within the fan.  I couldn't really figure anything out.  So, in my desperation I grabbed the duct tape.  Made enough raps so I could press fit everything together, very tightly I might add.  I still needed a spacer so the coils would clear the increased height of the pulley.  Grabbed a couple of aluminum spacers from one of the Hard Drives I took apart and they worked like a charm.  My next project when I get some more funds together will be a 5 hp electric motor conversion.  The motor is at my sister's, about an hour south of me, or I would give some specs on it.  I can tell you that it is quite heavy.  I just want to thank all of you for helping to spread the insanity!

THERE COMING TO TAKE ME AWAY!  HA, HA!

Todd

« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 12:48:49 PM by motoman465 »