Author Topic: Anyone have experience with the APA?  (Read 889 times)

SpirckleM

Anyone have experience with the APA?
« on: April 19, 2007, 03:56:03 AM »
I am in the process of buying some acreage located in Upper State NY in the Adirondack Park.  Current owners did a baddy and subdivided 6 acres and a house off the main acreage without APA (Adirondack Park Authority) permission.  In order to sell the remaining 62 acres the owners have to retroactively get a permit to subdivide, but the APA is stalling and saying although the conditions are clear to issue the permit, (no environmental restrictions, etc) they have a statutory deadline of June 11th to issue the permit and they indicate that they intend to take their own good time I suppose mostly to punish the seller (current owner).

Question is, does anybody have experience dealing with this agency.  Is their an expediting process like there is getting a passport, or is it better just to let them pretend they have the upper hand and let it all run its course.

I don't want to give up on this purchase.  62 acres of cleared land with a livable house, barn and silo.

Am I just headed for more grief dealing with these people... Can anybody speak to this?

« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 03:56:03 AM by (unknown) »

drdongle

Re: Anyone have experience with the APA?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 05:48:12 AM »
 I can't comment on the APA specifically but any time you have a government agency that exerts their influence in such a manor you can expect further trouble down the road. These bureaucrats jealousy guard their turf and will make cheerfully make your life a living hell if you give them any excuse. They may develope a prejudice twords you when they find that you are buying that 62 acers, and try to impose all sorts of limitations because of it's recent "history".

good luck with it I hope it works out in your favor.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 05:48:12 AM by drdongle »

thefinis

Re: Anyone have experience with the APA?
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 07:57:10 AM »
While it may not help in this case many times that I have had trouble with with red tape, dealing with someone different in the agency would magicily remove the road blocks. Try going in at lunch when the person you normally deal with is gone. If possible try and talk to someone different at same level if not go up the ladder one step and talk to whoever is in charge of that area. Taking cookies donuts homemade sweets will often help grease the powers that be and if they are digging in their heels being rude or angry will only make them dig in deeper.

Finis

« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 07:57:10 AM by thefinis »