Author Topic: 4 August 2004 - Water Tanks  (Read 1145 times)

BT Humble

4 August 2004 - Water Tanks
« on: August 03, 2004, 04:27:47 PM »
I'm using some recycled corrugated steel water tanks for storage at my place.  When I get them they're usually full of rust holes, so the trick is to plaster the inside with a concrete mortar to make them watertight.  Here's a pic of the first one in position and hooked up:

I stored the first one against a tree (I wasn't going to be using it right away) with a couple of rocks to prop it in place, and it blew away uphill in the wind one night.

I retrieved it from against the fence, and put some bigger rocks and sticks against it.  A week or so later I retrieved it again from where it had fetched up against the fence on the OTHER side of the hill.  After that I used 4 steel posts to fence it in place.  It stayed put. ;-)

A couple of weeks ago I was visiting my parents, and loaded another old tank onto my truck to take home (these old tin water tanks are about 2m/7' high and 1.7m/6' diameter).  I then had a moment of brain fade, and attempted to drive across their ramp instead of out the gate.  The ramp has an "archway" over the top of it.  Screeeeeech! ... and a rather battered looking tank.

On Saturday I enlisted a young neighbour to help me fasten wire netting to the inside of the two tanks, in preparation for plastering the insides with concrete (they bear a striking resemblance to kitchen colanders at the moment).  That all went well, and we put them in position on the tankstand ready for concreting next weekend.

I got home at about 7:30 last night, and had my usual wander around to make sure everything was in order.  Strangely, I was missing one water tank.  I followed its tracks off the tank stand, up over the hill, over the fence, down the hill across the neighbour's paddock, over another fence, and finally found where it had come to rest against a big blackberry bush about 1km (2/3 mi) from where it started.  

It's picked up a few more war wounds, but considering it's journey it doesn't look too bad.

Oh, and the ladder was still safely stowed away inside it.

BTH

« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 04:27:47 PM by (unknown) »

BruceDownunder

Re: 4 August 2004 - Water Tanks
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 04:02:06 PM »
Well, if you had the 75kph winds we got yesterday (Mt.Tamborine,Qld)then I guess the watertanks would have needed half full of water to stay "home"

You could create a new local sport --water tank races. the handicapping could be fast tanks must carry an amount of water !!!

My tanks are concrete and have hairline cracks -possibly due to bad handling during installation -they are precast. The latest idea is to pour them on site .

I've seen many tanks (Corrugated) done with chicken wire ,works well .

Thanks for the story,made me laugh, now where is my rubbish bin ???

Bruce

« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 04:02:06 PM by BruceDownunder »

BT Humble

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 05:05:12 PM »

My tanks are concrete and have hairline cracks -possibly due to bad handling during installation -they are precast. The latest idea is to pour them on site .

My dad has an old precast tank that he bought during the '83 drought, and it almost immediately cracked and started leaking.  He told me on the weekend that he bought some new "Miracle, Space-Age Polymer Compound" that you paint on the inside, which apparently works quite well and is fairly inexpensive.  I'll find out the name of it for you if you like.

(Funny how the tank that I squished while driving over the ramp didn't blow away!) ;-)

BTH

« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 05:05:12 PM by BT Humble »

BruceDownunder

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 03:51:33 PM »
Thanks for that, I've used "blackjack" and silicon . Dad's new stuff may be what I need .

I am in the tank yesterday and today trying to refit the outlet tube --it leaked -- It's 45 mm brass threaded tube with two nuts and insertion rubber washers-the bloody washers wer just being distorted when the nuts were tightened , So ,to the lathe and I made two 60mm washers with 45mm holes out of 4mm gal plate--that should stop the washers from distorting ,and maybe now do their job ?

I had an idea about the cracks -- that white stuff they mix with cement,cemstick or something . maybe it's viscous enough to get into the cracks and seal them ?

Just a thought.

by the way , what's your website with all those great pic's-- I lost all my info on those great sites when a tech stuffed up my computer a while back .

I'm on the "IRC photo Album"  Brucedownunder

Cheers

Bruce

« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 03:51:33 PM by BruceDownunder »

BT Humble

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 05:11:54 PM »
I just called mum, apparently the stuff is called "Mr Crystal".  Dad actually got inside the tank and used a hammer and chisel to cut trenches along all of the cracks, then sealed them with some stuff he calls "Black Tack".  I'm guessing it's the same stuff you're talking about (black tarry goo with some sort of fibres in it).

Apparently the "Mr Crystal" stuff would have been enough on its own, but he'd already done the other work by the time he bought it.

My website is http://www.geocities.com/za2bb/

BTH

« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 05:11:54 PM by BT Humble »