Author Topic: solar panels in series  (Read 615 times)

tanner0441

solar panels in series
« on: August 29, 2024, 03:28:04 PM »
Hi

I recently updated my solar setup I now have five panels ranging from 395 to 435W total power just over two Kw. Also updated my inverter from 1500W to a Edecoa 3Kw Hybrid unit. it all seems to work OK and Ive seen 1.82Kw under a totally clear sky which in the UK this time of year is as good as I can expect.
The inverter will run most of the stuff in the house but until I find someone who is paper qualified to fit it, my 100 A automatich change over switch is sat in its housing on my bench. Very annoying because I am capable of doing it I've spent my life in industrial electrics and electronics. Including 11,000V variable pitch pumps which you do carefully, but I don't have the relevant paper work for domestic work.

I had an electrician look but didn't have a clue and left saying "I just wire houses up".

A strange thing ive noticed that early in the morning when the sun is off the side of the panels I get a steady output of around 400W then as the sun comes round onto the face of the panels the output drops to around 180W. Bit of head scratching and investigation and I notices the last panel I fitted was in shade where the other four are in bright sun. onto the roof of my workshop and disconnected it reverting to the original circuit... Back up came the power to just over 400W. I've now fitted a switch to disconnect it and revert to the old circuit, when to sun comes onto the panel I flick the switch over and i deffinitly get the benefit of the extraa panel. The MPPT voltage of the hybrid inverter is 50 to max 450 so I cant put them in parallel where it would have little effect.

A thing Ive also noticed is the more power you have, you can always use more. More batteries is my next move but be 24V I have to buy them two at a time, you can find over purchased panes cheap but batteries are always top price.

Brian

joestue

Re: solar panels in series
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2024, 04:02:54 PM »
can you just use a diode across the panel to conduct the current when the weaker shaded panel can't produce the current?
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

tanner0441

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2024, 06:32:32 PM »
hi

n the other 4 panels yes because they all terminate in a cabinet but this panel it just looped in series with the last panel.  i would have to use MC4 piggy back terminals and mount the diode in its own little box. The cables exit the panel from little boxes top and bottom of the panel so can't include there.

Three of the panels on my 12V set up have bipass diode in the terminal box but the are only 20W panels.

Brian

joestue

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2024, 11:56:53 PM »
hi

n the other 4 panels yes because they all terminate in a cabinet but this panel it just looped in series with the last panel.  i would have to use MC4 piggy back terminals and mount the diode in its own little box. The cables exit the panel from little boxes top and bottom of the panel so can't include there.

Three of the panels on my 12V set up have bipass diode in the terminal box but the are only 20W panels.

Brian

i hate to reply "first world problems"

but i would just strip the wires and solder a diode in there.

stranded wire corrodes (i know because every once and a while i have to rub the strands together on the ground connection on my trucks tail lights)
and i also know that stranded wire wrapped around stranded wire and buried in the dirt only lasts about 1 year before it goes open circuit again on 12vac 20 watt garden lamps...

but when you solder the wires.. maybe use some grease and keep the water off the connection so far, it can last 20 years or more.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

tanner0441

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2024, 02:35:07 PM »
Hi

My location though not exactly coastal is still very close to the Welsh coast, close enough we get salt on the windows in rough weather so before I strip any cables back I might fit a diode into a IP66 box with flying leads and MC4 connectors. At the moment the switch is working when I need it.

tanner0441

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2024, 02:37:50 PM »
ooops

I lost several lines of that sorry about that

Brian