Author Topic: Can You Help Me ?  (Read 2471 times)

EMRE

Can You Help Me ?
« on: May 27, 2014, 05:02:21 PM »
Hello;

I live in Turkey so not know so much English. But googletranslate is good. Now i want to do wind turbine (axial flux genarator).But Which is the best Coil Winding Shape?

I've added an example. What do you think abouth this coil ?

İ am waiting your answer and different thoughts..

Thank you...

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Can You Help Me ?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 10:46:58 PM »
The overlapped coil design you show is much more difficult to build than the single layer 9 coil 12 magnet design used by Otherpower and Hugh Piggott. Unless you are intending to use a mppt converter I really doubt that it is worth the extra effort. As shown on your drawing it would be suitable for a large diameter magnet rotor but if you try on a smaller diameter things become crowded at the centre.

What you gain by winding all the circumference you will loose from increased wire length and higher resistance. It can be done, it has been done but really it is a labour of love for little reward. If you have very thin magnets this method may work out better and it is easier to wind this way with quite thin coils. For magnets 1/2" thick or more I would stick with the simpler single layer winding.

I hope Google can translate this without too much confusion.

Flux

EMRE

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 06:44:25 AM »
Dr. Flux

First of all thank you very much for your reply. I made flux alternator (12coil 16 magnets) before. And 140d/d about 21volt.But İf I can 12x2=24 coil stator so More than ever volt(of the same diameter stator). two arm come into a coil.But this coil make diffucult I know. I use long and narrow magnet.

as a result, Which is better? My english and google translate is bad sorry everybody..

this pictures my first stator.

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 04:02:57 PM »
Your stator looks really good, well done.

I think you will do better to stick to that simple arrangement rather than struggle with overlapped coils.

You can always change the cut in voltage for a given speed by altering turns and wire size rather than changing the coil numbers and winding arrangement.

I don't think your proposal to use 24 coils with 16 magnets  will gain you much as the winding space per coil is reduced so it is not a direct increase of voltage as your new coils will have less turns for a given wire size. What you gain in volts you will loose from the significantly higher resistance, those overlapped ends add a lot of copper.

Flux

EMRE

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 04:55:55 PM »
Dr.Flux

According to you, I should do normaly axial Flux Genarator. For example, I should opt for 12 coil 16 magnet instead of 18 coil 24 magnet.
 Other designs will be difficult as well and it will not return about voltage.

Voltage and amperage Is there a formula to make the account?

Thank you everythink..

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 06:05:00 PM »
16 magnet 12 coil will work. If you have more magnets and want more power out 24 magnet 18 coil will be fine.

Voltage out and power out are different things ( I am not sure how the google translator will confuse this).

With any given winding you get more volts out by increasing the number of turns. You can get any voltage you want from either of the arrangements.

Having sorted the voltage, the maximum power you can get out will be increased by using more or bigger magnets. Until you get the cut in volts right and try it with your propeller you are not in a position to sort out the power output. You need the correct size of alternator to suit your propeller.

Numbers of magnets and coil arrangements don't affect the cut in volts, it is the number of turns in each phase of the winding that determines that with a given set of magnets.

If your present stator gives too few volts you can use more turns per coil of thinner wire. If you get half the volts you want then wind with twice as many turns, you can get it by ratios from your present winding.