Author Topic: Where to start?  (Read 1214 times)

dwpeters12

Where to start?
« on: March 26, 2010, 06:59:30 PM »
I am going to build the 17ft 48volt turbine in Dan's book and was wondering what to do for the inverter?  Do i need to get the inverter first i have heard that you are suppossed to pick out your inverter before you wind your stator. Do you ha to wind the coils different to each inverter? I would also like to get one that will hold up but not hurt the pocket to much:) any help is much appreciated I gain alot from this forum.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 06:59:30 PM by (unknown) »

REdiculous

Re: Where to start?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 11:10:51 PM »
It seems to me that you've settled on the system's voltage; 48v. So you'll need a 48v inverter.

Past that point I'm no help at all. I haven't read the book, have you?

« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 11:10:51 PM by REdiculous »
☣☠☢

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 05:06:40 PM »
The book doesn't go into much depth on the 17' machine, what I know about the choice in inverters is you can pay a heap of money for a square wave inverter or a mountain of money for a true sine wave inverter, there really aren't a lot of choices that are easy on the wallet.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 05:06:40 PM by fabricator »
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 03:53:28 AM »
If this is grid tie there is no cheap inverter, you will need a battery fed grid tie inverter or you will need to change the mill completely and use a high voltage direct grid tie inverter. Lots of issues including voltage clipping and changes in furling will have to be sorted so I suggest you stick with a battery grid tie inverter with approval. You will also need approval from your supply company.

This is a different case from battery stand alone inverters.

Flux

« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 03:53:28 AM by Flux »

Roger Stafford

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 08:52:15 AM »
Hi I finished bulding my 17 ft from the book about 6 months ago. Mine is battery bank with grid tied. The inverter I use is xantrex 6048 That's 6KW.( around $5,000) I have a gurd controller that I use for a auto shut down. I find that xantrex has about a 20 second delay when it comes out of standby and goes into the sells mode. This causes the volts to get high and trips my auto shutdown which is set at 60 volts. As you may have read on this forum the 17ft design needs to have at least a 12" offset, I think the book calls for a 8" also you will have furling problems if you don't make sure of the offset and blade rotation. I started out with offset to the right and clockwise rotation (looking at the gen from the blade side) and was haveing furling problems. I just changed the offset to the left with the blades rotating clockwise and it fixed my problem. I am not a expert by far but like you I use the forum alot and it is most helpful.Read everything that you can about stator burn out and furling before you build your gen. As far as the inverter goes the first thing you should do is contact your electric company and find out what they require. You are going to wind the coils for 48Volts as per the book so you will need a inverter for 48Volt, controller for 48v (set in the diversion mode),and a 48volt dump load.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 08:52:15 AM by Roger Stafford »