Author Topic: Otherpower adventures near Detroit MI, Part 2 ~ EMU  (Read 4450 times)

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Otherpower adventures near Detroit MI, Part 2 ~ EMU
« on: October 07, 2010, 03:00:01 PM »
As mentioned in earlier posts, we got talked into teaching our 'homebrew wind' workshop for Eastern Michigan University near Detroit.  It was a 500 level course, for credit.  Half our students were profs at the university.  For the most part, they had very little experience with hands on stuff.  They didn't know the theory behind wind power or the basic physics but they picked up on that stuff quickly.  With 12 students and lots of tools, we were hard pressed to get one 12 foot machine built - but it did come out nicely.

This time we didn't have Scotty on board to help with blade carving so I did that bit.  Dan Fink was also there to help, as was George, to help with metal work.  I must say they had about every tool we could hope for and more...  but the condition of the tools was not so good.  All the saws had dull blades and were out of adjustment.  They had two mig welders, one was not working at all, the other one required quite a fair bit of 'tuning up'.  Seems these days, in this country... teaching hands on stuff has fallen out of favor.  'Shop space' at schools is being turned into 'computer space'.  Welding and other shop classes are being cancelled in favor of 'IT' classes.  Community colleges are teaching classes on 'how to take tests' rather than how to make stuff.  I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that Detroit currently has about 50% unemployment.  It was depressing to hear that a kid born in Detroit has about a 25% chance of graduating high school and about a 0.2% chance of getting any sort of college degree.  I believe this is the reason they hired us to come there and start with simple theory/physics and follow it through to a functioning 12' diameter wind turbine.

Pictured above George is demonstrating how to use a torch to cut steel rotors from 3/8  inch flat steel.

Above Ben is winding coils for the 12 foot wind turbine.  This is a  24 Volt turbine to be installed at the home of one of the students, who is the electrician for EMU (here, I believe it's 'timeless turbines').  So far as I know, he has erected the machine since we left and it's working well.  The coils for this one were wound with 4 strands of #16 gauge wire in hand, and 36 turns per coil. 

Building the stator mold!  The mold for this turbine is 20 inches in diameter, the island in the middle is  8.25 inches in diameter.  I believe this is about the 11th  12 foot diameter machine like this that we've built.  So far, all the ones that have been erected seem to be holding up fine and producing pretty well.

Above is a bit more magnet rotor cutting...  some folks really take well to this stuff even with no previous experience.  Others don't ;-)

Pictured above Jonathan is carving blades with the draw knife.  At this particular workshop - we allowed for no power tools except the band saw just to cut the profile of the blades.  When finishing the blades, sand paper was not allowed either.  All the blade work was done with hand saws, drawknives, hand planes, spoke shaves, and they were finished with scrapers.

That said... I did not even bring scrapers and they didn't have any there, so I showed them how to sharpen the backs of the hand saws to be good scrapers.

This machine progressed a bit more slowly than usual, which was fine... everyone was busy, having fun, and learning stuff.  On the afternoon of the 4th day, they were just getting the magnet rotors built.

As with the last couple of workshops this summer, I had them build nice blade hubs out of steel, from scratch.

Ahh... finally the alternator is coming together!

The stator is ready to install!

Pictured above Jonathan and the dean of EMU, standing next to the finished wind turbine.

During the afternoon of the last day, we had time to dyno test the alternator off the back wheel of my car, using a bathroom scale, a laser tachometer, and two 12 volt deep cycle batteries as a load.  Lots of fun!  After that we loaded up!  The next morning we made the 1400 mile drive back home.  We've had a couple more good adventures this summer/ fall... which I will post about soon.

If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: Otherpower adventures near Detroit MI, Part 2 ~ EMU
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 05:27:07 PM »
DanB;
  Just think of the hands to the planer they know have.
The mill is a beauty to look at!
With Eastern MI being known for cold weather, what did you treat the planes with ?

One small question on the 2nd to last picture. Is that a Bio-D stirring setup I see on the back right? White ABS barrel with a motorized auger standing in it.
Thanks for the pics!
Sorry I couldn't make it to Gerald again :-[

Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 09:27:57 PM »
I believe this is about the 11th  12 foot diameter machine like this that we've built.  So far, all the ones that have been erected seem to be holding up fine and producing pretty well.

Dan;

Mine is running just perfectly, makes nice power, has survived multiple intense storms protects itself at some point between 100 and 130 amps into 24 volts.

'I am very happy with it. Needs some maintenance right now. A prewinter greasing and once over.

She is the center turbine here:

I have a much better pulling rig since I bought the Grip Hoist.

Anyway that is my report on an in service 12 footer from you.

Thanks again. It fits with my upgraded storage nicely.

Tom

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 10:41:45 PM »
Above is a bit more magnet rotor cutting...  some folks really take well to this stuff even with no previous experience.  Others don't ;-)

I believe this is the 5th picture down. I dont see a tram gauge on the torch, looks like you guys used soap-stone for the marking of the cuts, although the "id" and "od" look simple, how did you guys align the bolt pattern for the hub. Did you use "trig" functions for this, and what was the final run-out for the rotors mounted to the hub (did you run a dial indicator on the od), Im assuming you drilled the holes for the bolt pattern(6 bolt). For alot of the stuff I do this way, I rely on center punch marks. The last time I cut some disks with the torch, the area of the cut was extra hard. Have you used a plasma cutter for this yet?

JW

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 03:23:19 PM »
... I must say they had about every tool we could hope for and more...  but the condition of the tools was not so good.  All the saws had dull blades and were out of adjustment.  They had two mig welders, one was not working at all, the other one required quite a fair bit of 'tuning up'.  Seems these days, in this country... teaching hands on stuff has fallen out of favor.  'Shop space' at schools is being turned into 'computer space'.  Welding and other shop classes are being cancelled in favor of 'IT' classes.  Community colleges are teaching classes on 'how to take tests' rather than how to make stuff...   ...  It was depressing to hear that a kid born in Detroit has about a 25% chance of graduating high school and about a 0.2% chance of getting any sort of college degree.  I believe this is the reason they hired us to come there and start with simple theory/physics and follow it through to a functioning 12' diameter wind turbine.

Dan, I can't agree more and it's very disappointing to see this still going on.  My son is getting older and will soon go through that kind of school system himself.  At an age where young people are so clever, strong, and keen to learn, we plunk them in front of screens and keyboards and "teach" them how the world works.  I was personally deprived of that in high school, and only made up for it later in life.  Even more insane is that I took "engineering" in university for 2 years, and not one day did I get grease on my hands.  I gave up out of frustration and boredom, and enrolled in a community college instead.  A week later I was standing in front of a lathe and I knew I'd made the right choice.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

DenisGCroombs

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 03:50:21 PM »
I was lucky enough to do an engineering apprenticeship after leaving school at 16, but ended up as an Design and engineering manager managing 35 engineers most of who had engineering degrees but did not understand how the parts they were designing we made.
I was (and still am) able to make any part I wanted on any machine in the workshop, great shame these apprenticeship's are no longer available in the number they were when I left school.

Denis
www.deniscroombs.org

Timeless Turbines

• Larry's Turbine Site
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 06:36:15 AM »

Dan,
 so happy to see the pics, I have some videos on Http://people.emich.edu/lholmes that is a link to my web site, they can also be found at vimeo.com/larrysturbines. I have had so much fun with this stuff. I have wanted to build a turbine sense 12Th grade, last summer the time was right, and I put up my permanent tower and a very small turbine,  I got a great start and ongoing education here, and I wanted to go to one of your seminars but thought I would be better to put that money toward my turbine. Thanks to Dr Jonathon Lynn and the College of Technology at Eastern Michigan University, the seminar came to me. I cant even tell you how much this means to me Thanks SOOOO Much for coming to E.M.U.  It took me longer to take the turbine apart and paint it, than it took to finish the crane that fits on the top my tower.  I used a 21' piece of 3 " schedule 40 as a mast. I can leave my hoist in one spot and raise a lifting arm that I use to raise 4 crane parts. I can re rig the cable to make pics from the crane that swivels 360 degrees. Once I lift and  place the alt. with blades attached, I can re rig to lift the mast and turbine ten feet above the top of the tower. I took it down by myself with help from my wife who pulls on ropes to keep it from hitting the tower the day before my official turbine raising. It took about three hours the first time. I made a yaw tube bearing from bearing bronze .25 inch thick. I think the yawing action is very good, but I thinkThe 8.5 inch offset might be to much, it looks to me like the blade assembly is being pushed around the tower to a ferold position to much for a 15 mph wind, the tail gets pushed over into the wind and slowly brings the blades back into the wind. I think the turbine should stay facing the wind in a 15 mph, some feed back on this would be nice. Ran out of time.

Dr Jonathon Lynn, will be teaching a Detroit High School, how to build a Home Brew turbine from scratch, this fall.  He will be giving them 30 hours of hands on instruction over a 8 week period. He is working to get a grant to be able to do this for lots of high schools. WoW What a Guy.

"More Power To Ya"

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 01:44:45 PM »
Its really great to see the new folks get involved in these type of threads. These  "Dan" posts are always interesting... I've used Dan's format before when making story's or diary entry's its always alot of fun...

JW