Author Topic: Drilling holes  (Read 3237 times)

12AX7

Drilling holes
« on: July 31, 2010, 09:55:05 PM »
Just ran into this at another site and thought it was something worth posting here.

Here is a trick to figuring what speed to drill different metals.

For steel take 300/Diameter of drill. So 1/4" drill bit in steel = 1200RPM

For Aluminum (grade 6061) 600/Diameter of drill bit. So 1/4" drill in Alum. =2400 RPM.

For Stainless Steel (303,304) 180/diameter of drill. So 1/4" drill bit in stainless = 720RPM.

This is assuming your using a 118 Dg. High Speed steel drill bit.

ax7
Mark

12AX7

Re: Drilling holes
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 05:17:47 PM »
I might have started this thread in the wrong section.  But it seems out of place here.  Other is listed as "other power systems"

drilling holes seems more of a "how to" subject.   If not frequently asked questions, then under newbies?

ax7

imsmooth

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 09:53:40 PM »
If you are going to post speeds you should also include the use of oil for keeping the bit cool while drilling.

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 12:22:35 PM »
I might have started this thread in the wrong section.  But it seems out of place here.  Other is listed as "other power systems"

drilling holes seems more of a "how to" subject.   If not frequently asked questions, then under newbies?

ax7

We are seeing some forum database errors lately that seems to show up as stories drifting mysteriously into other topic areas as well as old posts showing up as "unread".

JW is working with DanB on arranging a much needed database maintenance & repair action that may lock out postings or possibly viewing for an extended period that could be several hours.

Just not sure when it will happen.

So it could be that little bug is at fault. Until the maintenance is done I figure we will just let them stay where they are rather than chasing our tails squaring it away only to see it move again.

Tom

freejuice

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 08:00:57 PM »
If you are going to post speeds you should also include the use of oil for keeping the bit cool while drilling.
Hi Folks.
 When it comes to 300 series stainless I often slow things down a good bit.

Most often I use an animal fat such as bacon grease to do my tapping and drilling.....sometimes when I'm in a pinch I will use a can of vegetable shortening such as Crisco.
  I would stay away from things such as WD-40, motor oil or even burnt /used motor oil, its more of a lubricant than a cutting oil.
 Years ago...up until about the mid 80's or so they use to use 1-1-1 triclorethelyne ( spelling?) in tapping fluids such as "Tap-Magic", but did away with it due to cancer causing possibilities, and many mfg's of cutting fluids saw the writing on the wall with regulations and started switching over to more eco-friendly substiutites....and some ( but not all) of the tapping fluids out there are nothing but over glorified biodegrable animal byproducts

the tapping and cutting fluid which appears to be a black oil ( sulfurized cutting oil) is good to use, but it has a lot of sulfur and chlorine in it to assist in tapping/drilling...and will stink you out of a shop if goes to letting off a little smoke, so keep your drill bits sharp and slow them down a bit further to keep the smoke from curing you like a ham.

Come to think about it, they probably used animals fats to do their tapping in the 17 & 18th centuries... try a little bacon grease next time or vegetable shortening... both are in a semi-solid state....just smear it on the drill or tap. I never buy those" fancy-smancy" tapping fluids anymore....I have probably tapped a million and two holes in my lifetime thus far and bacon grease or " Crisco" is up top with the best
But dont go eating a bunch of bacon to get the tapping fluid....that stuff could be just as bad on your arteries as 1-1-1 tricloethelene was to people's health. ;D
 All the best,
 Gavin
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 08:11:42 PM by freejuice »

12AX7

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 09:21:56 PM »
imsmooth..

yep,  should have said something about fluids.   Being that I currently don't have a "favorite" I didn't think to include them.
Someone once told me that wax works (never tried it).  I understand that water based fluids have become popular.
I've seen other places mention using cooking oils.

For what it's worth,  I found that starting a tap with it chucked up in a drill press helped cut back on the number of broken taps and crooked holes.   I don't use the drill press power,  just chuck up the tap and turn the chuck by hand.

Tom..
I don't recall where I started this thread, but woof moved it to "OTHER".  I didn't think that it belonged there, and said so.   Kurt moved it here....  so there hasn't been a 'bug' type problem here.

ax7
Mark

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 06:41:45 AM »

Tom..
I don't recall where I started this thread, but woof moved it to "OTHER".  I didn't think that it belonged there, and said so.   Kurt moved it here....  so there hasn't been a 'bug' type problem here.

ax7
Mark

Mark;

Since we do not have anything like a job description on what is supposed to go where, or any other clear directives or guidelines to guide us everyone decides what to do with their own criteria.  Like any group we seldom agree 100% on the details.

We pretty much agree 100% on the mission and certain non negotiable "rules". We try not to micromanage the Moderators they are all sensible and reliable folks. And they do a helluva job.

The main reason for proper sectioning is for searches and general research by users.

sorry for the topic drift.

Just FYI.

Tom

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 10:57:05 AM »
At our shop they had water soluable cutting oil for cutting pipe threads
amazing what using the wrong stuff for cutting threads....real ragged...
not cool at all !
Also Made an excellent hand cleaner...anyone ever tried it for that?

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 08:17:04 PM »
We used to have a "Mechanical" section, that is where it belongs, but that section was lost in the move.

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 08:49:35 AM »
We used to have a "Mechanical" section, that is where it belongs, but that section was lost in the move.

Woof;

I know a guy who knows a guy who can ad sections. Maybe we could put it back up?

We did not want too many sections to start so we have not been adding them.

My biggest concern is having that type section end up full of gear head posts about big block go fast cars, etc.

Maybe our resident pollster can fire off a poll about adding that section?

I will ask him if I get a minute.

Let the users decide.

Tom

bj

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 09:24:31 AM »

Tom: I'm probably your worst gear head, and I faithfully promise, NO car posts ;D
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj
Lamont AB Can.