Author Topic: Microwave magnet generator  (Read 13470 times)

Allan

• retired machinist
Microwave magnet generator
« on: January 06, 2005, 04:37:43 AM »

As I promised quite some time ago,I have finally found the time to get back to work on this generator. This is the dual stator,with 96 magnets on 3 plates(1/2" tk.)

Test on a single coil has produced 12Vac with .8 ohms resistance, this was tested in the lathe at 500rpm.. I am planning 3 phase wiring. 3 coils to each band of the three bands per stator.Then the 2 stators would be wired in parallel. If anyone wish to comment on this project I welcome the critics, its'the only way to learn and improve.  

Bye for now Allan
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 04:37:43 AM by (unknown) »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Re: Microwave magnet generator
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 10:26:30 PM »
Allan,

Hey this is my project, well one of them and only a duel rotor.

I see you have doubled up the magnets as I have, how many turns in your coil?

What size wire?

Round as oposed to a wedge shape did you experiment or just opt for round coils?

Air gap?

regards Allan

« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 10:26:30 PM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

RP

• A dog with novelty teeth. What could go wrong?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 11:12:39 PM »
Allan,

If you're going to put the stators in parallel it'll be critical that the they be aligned to be exactly in phase.  It'll be easy enough to check by looking for a change in torque when they're connected.  Another option would be to purposely offset one stator by half a magnet and rectify it separately.  Then you'd have a six phase machine!

rp

« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 11:12:39 PM by RP »

Allan

• retired machinist
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 09:55:01 PM »
 Good evening,

Thank you for your notes, you now have me looking hard at what you said. I can offset one stator, it is not to late. I did a few rough calculation.In delta,in theory, it could produce 88 vac and 90 amps. In wye 216 vac and 36 amps.Both would produce 7900 watts approx. This is a lot more than I ever thought was possible.Controlling this power would be more than the c40 trace controller that I have could handle. Rectifying 6 phase I am not sure of yet? I have a few of the large rectifiers used on large truck alternators. Can these be used if parreleled together? I know they can handle the amps and volts.The wire size now, I think can be changed to a larger size, from 16 to 14, I will do a few tests next week. This could give me a little more of a safety margine against burning up coils.

Hope to hear from you again.

Allan
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 09:55:01 PM by Allan »

jimovonz

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 12:57:24 AM »
I too have been investigating ways to make a 'largish' alt utilizing microwave mags. I have gone away from axial flux now, but when considering a tripple rotor such as you have, I thought that perhaps the central steel disc as was not necessary. Basically the flux path would be right through the whole assembly i.e. Plate N/S Coil N/S Coil N/S Plate. You could set the central magnets in resin much as you would do the coils. I don't know that it would get you any greater output, but it would save some weight. I would think that wedge shapped coils would be preferable to the round coils you have in your pics. More wire perpendicular to the moving flux. It would not be hard to make up two coils with a few turns each to test the difference. One of the obvious problems with micro mags are their lack of strength (compared to neos). Have you considered thinner, overlapping coils in an effort to get thinner stators? A smaller gap will increase the flux seen by the coils. It shouldn't be hard to get a fair amount of copper into such a large diameter stator (what is the rotor diameter by the way?). I am very interested in your work so please keep us posted with your progress!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 12:57:24 AM by jimovonz »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 05:47:41 AM »
Allan,

What air gap did you have for your test and how many turns in the test coil?

I was planning on a 12mm air gap, I have 12 double magnets per disk (2 off), plan 'A' was to shove as many overlapping coils in as possible, to make 6 phase.

Six phase because the magnet OD is average 57mm and in my case the distance  between magnets is 11mm. Therefore I can fit one leg of 6 coils "under each magnet".

Does anybody know if cogging is a problem with these magnets?

regards Allan

« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 05:47:41 AM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

jimovonz

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 12:31:59 PM »
Cogging is not a problem with an 'air' core. Cogging is caused by the attraction between the magnets and the steel used in the core. The loss caused by this attraction is more than made up for by the increased concentration of the magnetic flux.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 12:31:59 PM by jimovonz »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2005, 01:09:07 PM »
wow!! what a machine. from my sketch pad to your workbench . inspirational! thanks.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 01:09:07 PM by electrondady1 »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005, 09:37:15 PM »
 would it be impolite to ask the resistance of one of your coils?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 09:37:15 PM by electrondady1 »

nvmike

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2005, 09:57:34 PM »
Allan

How do the magnets on the center rotor line up?  Did you place the N with the N on the other side of the plate, or is it N matched up with S?

« Last Edit: January 28, 2005, 09:57:34 PM by nvmike »

pyrocasto

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2005, 11:17:47 PM »
All of the magnets in the machine are atracted to each other.

N SN S

I was wanting to try some stuff with this. You could make the middle rotor out of something else, and use less magnets to get the same power. That way, if you used neos, you could use 36 mags to get almost twice the power.(?)I think.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2005, 11:17:47 PM by pyrocasto »

darulas

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 03:44:15 PM »
hy Allan.

thats a very good job,

so mei énglisch is not very good,

no ey coms from germany,

wind power was a big job in germany.

good look

darula

uspa@gmx.de

« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 03:44:15 PM by darulas »

jbear

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 02:14:34 PM »
Allen

looks like a lot of us have simular ideas.

I was wondering if a guy was to double the mag's up like you did, just use the usual 2 rotor set-up if it would put out enough to keep up a charge?

My $$$$ situation here is very limited and have about 40-50 mic. mags, may be able to get more in time.

We are totally off grid using a propane gen. to keep up 16-245ahr batts at 12v. solar is out as I can not afford to set up with them. I am as new as a fresh tater outa the ground to wind stuff, very capable builder of most anything, just do not have the big math stuff going on in my head.

I do have a set of blades for the 8ft. machine, hubs from trucks and various metal goodies around. would set unit a-top a tri-pod from 40ft. elec. poles I can get for nothing and add in a telescoping 20 ft. mast.

we usuall get 12-24hrs of 10 plus mph winds daily with gusts to ? winter time we will see wind speeds of (sustained) 65-70mph for days. need to set up 3 phase with auto shut down relay for those times. Need all the help I can get as the propane is getting hard to keep up with plus the machine is old.  Thanks,  Jim
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 02:14:34 PM by jbear »