Author Topic: Wind Workshop, Buckville CO, May 2011  (Read 4453 times)

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Wind Workshop, Buckville CO, May 2011
« on: June 06, 2011, 03:12:07 PM »

3 days after returning from a long haul in Wisconsin I had a small workshop here at my own shop.  We had a total of 5 students....  Jack (pictured above with George, Lee (domeguy here on the board who gets the 12 foot turbine, Forrest and Jim from New Mexico, and Bill from Golden CO).  The goal of this workshop was to build a single 12 foot turbine from scratch, and then to install it on Lee's tower (about 2.5 hours away).

Pictured above Jim and Forrest are carving a blade together.  Video of this here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAa7Gx_tiPM

Jim and Forrest are quite talented folks, check out their website here:  http://www.mackey-made.com/

This time we experimented a bit.  Only one blade had the faced carved by hand... we also experimented with chainsaws and routers (later).

In an effort to fit as much copper as possible into this stator, we wound the coils (24 volts) with 33 turns each, using 4 strands of AWG 15 wire.  It's a tight fit and we mashed the coils into this 'coil former' so they'd fit.

Pictured above is the rig for winding with 4 strands in one hand.  It's best to keep the spools of wire horizontal, and run all 4 strands through a bit of wood or plastic that has a hole drilled in it.

There are lots of ways to strip magnet wire... I get pretty insistant that it be done perfectly though.  I usually show about 4 ways to do it... Bill and Lee prefer to burn the insulation off with a torch and then use sand paper to get it clean.  I usually just use a pocket knife.

Jack got some lessons with the cutting torch.  He's a new neighbor (about 15 miles down the canyon) ~ he'll be installing a system like this next fall so he wanted to take the workshop.  Very lucky person... you can see his house in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/user/otherpower?feature=mhee#p/f/11/Br-VJxBNPME

So based on some stuff we've seen other folks do we thought we'd try carving blades with a chainsaw... and a router, using guides on each side.  We remove almost all the material from the face of the blade, so the high point (thickest part of the airfoil) is a line, down the back side of the board that never gets carved or touched....  once the face is done 80% of the wood is removed.  So this could be a real time saver.  In this case, the chainsaw worked (we did not have a blade for ripping so that would've helped) - the router did a much better job though.

Above is detail of the router base to carve the blades.  This is just a 'practice' blade in the jig right now.

Finished metal work for 12' turbine pictured above....

Forrest doing a nice job of putting down the magnets.

Pictured above is the back magnet rotor, finished, and bolted to the hub.

Lee and Bill lower the front magnet rotor onto the alternator with jacking screws.

Finished wind turbine on the stand.. minus the blades.

There's the whole group, minus Scotty (he couldn't be there at the end).  Nice turbine though and great folks.... it's always fun to have a workshop here at home with a small group.

The next day we all drove about two and a half hours up to Lee's place and installed the machine.  It got pretty windy....  the machine just sat there furled, producing just under 1kW steady.  Very busy and lots of fun....
There is a short video of the machine running here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-uXlHWUKSI

At the end of the last day we had some neighbors up and played music all night.  Not sure how he does it... Forrest (pictured above) is a great guitar player (lefty) but he's never touched a mandolin.  He picks mine up, holds it backwards and upside down and shreds....

« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 08:21:18 PM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

oztules

• Village idiot
Re: Wind Workshop, Buckville CO, May 2011
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 08:08:03 PM »
I like the router idea. I didn't think to try that when I did it with the chainsaw.

With the chainsaw being so fast, and the router not so much, it may be best to rough it with the chainsaw (maybe 2 min for a 2M blade), and then tidy up with a router ... should be quick as only a few mm to remove now....

interesting

...........oztules
Flinders Island Australia

electronbaby

• Windsine.org
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 09:53:44 PM »
Great photos! glad to see everyone having so much fun :-)

Ive tried the router idea about two years ago and it worked really well. I welded up a jig to hold the router, but the way you did it is a little better. It seems like it would be more controllable. My biggest problem is that I could not make a blade jig that wouldnt warp in the humidity and hot temps we have here in the summer. I didnt like carving with the router in the shop because it makes a helluva mess. I ended up using Kindorf or Unistrut for the guides. I mounted the channel facing up and used adjustable threaded rods and double nuts to set my height clearances on either end of the jig (thats what sets the blade pitch). It worked real well, just have to start out with a more solid base (maybe a big steel i-beam) so there would be no warping (I used wood originally). By setting up the guides, both front and back, you can account for different blade thickness, and get a nice twist and taper.

Overall, Im glad you had luck with this method. There are a few others on the board who have tried it also.

Hope Ill see you in WI for the conference :-)

RoyR

Have Fun!!!  RoyR KB2UHF

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 09:33:07 PM »
Hi Roy - see you in a couple of days!  Im on my way out now (stopping in adair  Iowa for the night)
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

Boss

• http://outfitnm.com
    • Outfit Renewable energy site
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 09:50:59 AM »
Beautiful write-up as always Dan, I'm so envious I can hardly focus :'(
Brian Rodgers
My sustainable lifestyle site http://outfitnm.com no ads, not selling anything either

shawn valpy

• Kiwi shawn
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 08:34:52 AM »
Yes I built some 4 meter diameter blades with A router after the jig was made it went very smooth just a little hand sand on the flat face the back still needid rounding with a electric planer I have used a chainsaw also both very good !!
Tons of fun and you can wiz up blades quite fast.