Author Topic: Manual Solar Tracker Version 1.0  (Read 3962 times)

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
Manual Solar Tracker Version 1.0
« on: February 18, 2011, 01:26:33 PM »
I got tired of manually moving two panels every hour or so day in day out.

Pick them up, turn whatever it is they're leaning up against, reposition them, check for alignment with the sun/each other, repeat at least once every hour.

Gets old. Quick.  :-[

Anybody who's done it knows exactly what I'm talking about.

So I bought a portable 4 foot plastic table from Lowes to lean them up against, which took care of one problem; the alignment with each other.

Still had them sliding around when I tried to track them, and in some respects, it actually made things more difficult.

Did this for the past month or so.  >:(

Then I remembered that I had a not so old compressor that I bought from Sears a couple years ago. The thing took a crap 3 months after I bought it, and I never seemed to have the time to get back to make them pay warranty style.

Shiny side is, it was 'quick-disconnect' style mounted to a cart for wheeling it around and making life easier for the user. What a concept.

What did I come up with? This:

WOW what a difference that makes. Now all it takes is quite literally a flick of the wrist to bump it a few degrees to the west!  ;D

At first I worried about stability, because of the relatively narrow base on it, but believe it or not, it takes a rather significant amount of force (from wind etc) on it to make it go squirrelly.

All the hardware was there too. To get the brackets that the panels are sandwiched between, I simply took the leg assembly off of the bottom of the table and used the two hinge mounts that were already part of the table! ;)

Currently, they are not held in by much more than friction and gravity, but this is because I don't have time to finish it today (for one), and also because I need to work out how I want to do it with a little more reverence.

In the position shown, they are set up for winter. Summer is just as easy; lay it down on the handle side and the angle changes to a more skyward position.

It took all of a half hour to lay it out and piece it together, and it is saving me a LOT of frustration!

Total cost to build, about 30 bucks if you have the compressor stand already hanging around. I used UV rated zip ties to give some insurance, and the top is held in by a 4 inch hose clamp, just to make sure everything stays put.

Steve

The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !

klsmurf

• "Damn it Jim, I'm a carpenter, not an electrican"
Re: Manual Solar Tracker Version 1.0
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 04:59:46 PM »
Now just pin one wheel, small remote controlled motor on the other and viola!
" A man's got to know his limitations " ------ Harry Callahan

Madscientist267

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 05:22:24 PM »
I know, right?

Automatic trackers have been on my mind from the moment I first started messing with solar, but I don't have any suitable motors to drive anything with. Plenty of design, just no equipment. :(

Steve

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 06:20:13 PM »
...but I don't have any suitable motors to drive anything with.

The last version of the trash tracker I messed around with was using the motor off an old CD tray but any small motor will work.  Once you get down to that small a motor you need to start gearing.
I used all kinds of little gears out of vcr, printers, toys, etc.  I believe the last time I was messing with it I got somewhere around 4 or 5 ft/lbs before I started striping teeth off, so the motor had more to give, the drive train was what failed.

Madscientist267

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 02:00:37 AM »
Been giving some thought to the whole pinned wheel thing.. and really, it makes sense.

Why not? Clear a small patch of flat terrain for it to trek, and drive the east wheel based on sensors...

But there would need to be castors on the front at the very least, rubber feet don't roll well.  ???

Steve

klsmurf

• "Damn it Jim, I'm a carpenter, not an electrican"
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 06:45:19 AM »
The pinned wheel should help you when the sun is lower in the sky, but as it becomes more overhead, rotating around the X-axis won't help much. At this point, rotation around the Y-axis will be what you need. Haven't got enough coffee in me yet to fully think it through.  Kevin
" A man's got to know his limitations " ------ Harry Callahan