Author Topic: staying safe  (Read 1952 times)

120ThingsIn20Years

staying safe
« on: February 17, 2011, 09:07:30 PM »
I'm struggling to get the search terms right to get a handle on these questions , so if anyone knows the answers or can give my the correct terms to search for I would really appreciate  it.

I'm yet to feed wind power in, but I'm experimenting with the following.

I've got a 200 amp hour deep cycle battery and a 150watt inverter. The battery is kept topped up from a mains charger at the moment, but I'm worried about my lack of shock protection at the pump I'm running from the inverter.

My house has safety switches (earth leakage device?) sorry I'm not sure how describe things in the fuse box, but I get the feeling they wont protect me after the battery and inverter.

Am I correct in assuming I have no  shock protection at the pump?

If so, can I just add a store bought safety switch at the inverter's outlet and plug my pump into that? Is that all I have to do?

Thanks in advance. (and I hope some of it made sense)

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
Re: staying safe
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 09:38:17 PM »
The device in your Circuit Breaker panel is called a Ground Fault Breaker. I'm not sure if this would work with an inverters square wave output or the floating ground system that most inverters have since the ground and neutral are not bonded together.

joestue

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 10:37:56 PM »
the pump should be double insulated.
connect the pump ground to the ground, not the inverter ground.
this is acceptable for stopping the shock hazard.

the gfci may or may not trip due to the square wave charging up the internal capacitance of the pump.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

120ThingsIn20Years

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 11:12:16 AM »
thanks people

zaminur143

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 11:04:35 AM »
Buddy, actually I am also facing same kinds of problems. Here I've got my solution. Thanks people for your posts.   
Zaminur