Author Topic: APC UPS conversion to car use  (Read 6708 times)

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
APC UPS conversion to car use
« on: February 05, 2011, 05:10:56 PM »
I get these for free at work when the batteries die. We went to a building-wide inverter with protected outlets in strategic places, so corporate refuses to replace or repair the portable units. The batteries in these things don't last very long anyway.

The hacked inverter was a APC 350 ES. APC says it's a "stepped approximation to a sine wave." It fools my Kill-A-Watt meter, so it must be fairly close to mains power.

Before, showing the APC and a car adapter cord saved from another inverter. This adapter has no internal fuse. I prefer this, more on that later.

Backside open showing battery removed and battery connectors showing. Five #2 phillips screws hold the back down.

The internal infernal buzzer  :(  These are annoying, so I put a dab of silicone sealer in the hole on top. If it was removed the unit might show an internal fault and refuse to start on batteries.

Where the line cord went in. I used wire snips to cut the cord at the spot welds on the outlet bus.

The internal 40 amp car spade fuse. It's soldered to the board. I left it that way.

External inline fuse added with standard spade connectors and shrink wrap. This fuse is 30 amps. It will blow before the one inside. 30 amps should be enough anyway, since this is plugged into the power tap of my van. The fuse to the van power tap is probably 25 amps, I haven't checked.

Electric tape wrap over 4 click ties on the inside where the 120v circuit breaker used to be. This hole is the right size for the wire exit to the car plug. The click ties prevent the cord from being pulled out.

Finished product fast charging my portable drill battery. There is a procedure for using it off-grid. It is plugged in then the power button is pushed. It's a momentary switch. Wait for some beeps (since it is off-line), then plug in your load.

joestue

Re: APC UPS conversion to car use
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 06:24:52 PM »
the aluminium block on the fets is designed to absorb most of the heat by the time the battery dies.
you'll need to replace it with a heatsink or fan.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 09:17:23 PM »
Just to the left of the fuse? Those are pretty chunky. Not much area to blow air over. I don't intend to run it hard for hours at a time. If the dash fuse is 20 amps I'll get 1/3 of the rated capacity.

I do have a spare 12v muffin fan, though. That case is pretty empty, too. It came with a 7 amp hour battery.

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 12:07:41 AM »
A fan couldn't hurt... especially in FL.
I'd be more worried about the gauge of the wires of the lighter plug, it's hard to tell the gauge from the picture.

Nice setup dnix.

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 12:24:01 AM »
Got a few of these myself...

Beefed 'em up only by changing over to external batteries.

They can handle more abuse than they look like they'll tolerate.

The finless heatsinks will run a little on the warmish side, but they will keep pumping.

I'd stay away from full rated output for extended periods, but somewhere around half power has never given me any problems.

These units are cheap (free is always awesome), can be cold-started (usually, depends on sub-revision), and will take a little bit of a beating.

The only thing I'll say negative is that they're not the most efficient things on the block, but again, when the price is right. ;)

Rock on dude.

Steve
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !