Author Topic: Recommendations for magnet suppliers that ship down under?  (Read 3290 times)

frackers

• Picard spits "Hello"
Recommendations for magnet suppliers that ship down under?
« on: December 21, 2010, 05:42:01 AM »
Greetings all

After over 2.5 years my 3m mill has died :(

Winds this afternoon gusting to 140km/hr finished off the rusting under the magnets and I lost all the magnets off a magnet rotor, quickly followed by all the blades as it oversped due to a sudden drop in loading (I think it was in that order anyway!!)

So I'm looking for new magnets as these 2x1x.5 from forcefieldmagnets just don't feel as good as they were (toasted maybe?). I'd prefer a better fixing method next time so I'd like to stay with the same size if I can but with a hole in them. The steel disks should clean up OK and I can then get them powder coated, I'll also get them banded with stainless as well.

The stator so far looks like it survived - its discoloured but continuity looks good - when I strip it I'll have a better idea as I can then check the conductance properly as well on the state of any contact with the magnet rotors.

The blades have had it of course but I was half way through carving a new set out of western red cedar anyway - at least they will look better than this:

Other damage is all repairable - the stub mast is bent but I have a spare, the tail fin is a bit knocked about but thats only a bit of plywood and the three phase cable is now about 1m shorter where the whole mill jump off the stub mast (from the impact of the blades I guess) but I'll have enough spare to reach the ground still once I re-thread it up the tower.

Robin Down Under (Or Are You Up Over)

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Recommendations for magnet suppliers that ship down under?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 01:18:48 PM »
Sorry to see that! All that effort busted to bits.

I had a similar failure some years back and the head jumped off the mast.

I suspect that it lost one or 2 blades then kept on spinning which cause such an imbalance that when the lone whole blade swept up it just lifted the head right up with it. In my case it helped preserve the head at the cost of a few feet of cable which got shredded.

Just a forensic analysis from another armchair wannabe.

I think Forcefield ships underneath there?

Tom

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 02:37:06 PM »
That's a sad sight.

Nice to know it did what it was supposed to until then, with the earth quake and all.

If you have trouble getting someone to do the shipping, PM me.

I wonder if Down Under needs North and South on the opposite sides of the magnet as the rest of us?   ;D
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 03:42:54 PM »
Eh, a little superglue... duct tape... have you flying again in no time...  ;D

That sucks man... nothing like looking at your blood sweat and tears end up in pieces in front of you (or as an odor in the room, depending)...

You'll get it back up...  :-\

Steve
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !

frackers

• Picard spits "Hello"
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 06:08:15 PM »
and it was going so well - 32000 amp hrs into the battery bank and over 30000 out of it at 24 volts nominal runs to about three quarters of a megawatt in the last 18 months I have had the monitoring system on it. Should be up again by Easter I hope.

Just to rub the salt into the wounds, a set of double glazed double doors, left over from some building work last year, that I was going to use for a summer house got blown over inside the barn onto the rotor hoe and smashed. Thats the best part of 2 grands worth NZ$. I wonder if the insurance will cover it even though it wasn't fitted to a building!!

The usual trees down and everything movable in one corner of each paddock is normal but these gales have been exceptional...

frackers

• Picard spits "Hello"
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 06:47:34 PM »

Nice to know it did what it was supposed to until then, with the earth quake and all.

I'm wondering if the earthquake and all the aftershocks (over 4000 now) has contributed to the demise since the potting of the magnets is cracked so much

If you have trouble getting someone to do the shipping, PM me.

Thanks for the offer - if I can find a suitable source. I've had a quote from a local (NZ) company for 50x25x12mm N45 at NZ$583 for 24 which comes in at US$434 - over twice the imported cost.

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 07:12:33 PM »
http://www.rishengmagnets.com/

this company was posted on the back shed site

joestue

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 07:39:20 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/24-Pc-N50-2x1x1-2-Neodymium-Block-Magnets-NdFeB-Strong-/310281595698

friend of mine buys magnets from them all the time.
from my end it looks like $67 shipping to NZ
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

bj

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 09:02:20 PM »
   Crap Frackers, that is a shame.  140K is a fairly stiff breeze though.  You've been through enough of late, so maybe Mother Nature
will smile on you for a while.
   Good luck with the rebuild.
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj
Lamont AB Can.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 09:14:55 PM »
Hey Robin,
You wouldn't want to post those photo on this site (directly) by chance?
This was in my favorites.  It loses some of the shock value without the photos!
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller