Author Topic: actual monthly / annual output averages versus rotor diameter  (Read 8310 times)

bvan1941

actual monthly / annual output averages versus rotor diameter
« on: November 19, 2010, 01:50:31 PM »
Many of our experienced builders have now had time to determine turbine yield aftera few years of use. Those that have documented building both moderate (8-12') turbine and the larger (14-20') size turbines haven't updated results and opinions on what they built or thoughts of the worth of the larger turbine projects after all was taken into account.  Equally important is what wold they now do differently? Hope our host Dan and some others (like Fabricator and those I can't recall) weigh in with their thoughts on the subject?
It would seam that in the 7-10 mph average winds had by most of us, favor the larger turbines for consistent useful output over time. Return on investment must be evident, it would seem.

Bill

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: actual monthly / annual output averages versus rotor diameter
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 03:58:11 PM »
Some people do, but I'm not really in this for a ROI (return on investment). 

I do data-log from time to time, but not constantly.  I can only offer you a guess at my annual production.  Since I tinker with the machine pretty often, it is really hard to compare before and after, too.

My guess is that I get an annual 400 - 600 kWhr

This comes from an 8-foot rotor, 3-bladed, wood carved.  It's mounted to a converted industrial motor.  I run 3-phase from the motor to rectifiers, and charge a 24-28 volt battery bank.  Winds in my area are mostly stormy - not constant - and average just below 5 meters/second (11 mph) for my tower's height.  Due to my property's geometry, I have trees too close on the western side, though in winter (like now) they are bare and don't present much of an obstacle.

So... is that good or bad?  It serves my needs, so for me it's good.  At 8 cents per kWhr, I can claim to have saved 40 bucks.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

bvan1941

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 05:36:35 PM »
Steve, thanks for your reply.
I've read your diaries on converting 3 phase motors into very successful and reliable turbines.
My local conditions only allow useful wind from fall to late spring. I anticipate my first 8' turbine will give approximately what you've documented. (Almost done). I was hoping that members would provide some insight to the additional benefits / problems that the larger (16-20' or larger ) turbines have over a 1-3 year period they have been in operation.
The Dans and I think "Fabricator" have documented excellent initial results in building their 17' and 20' turbines with resulting removal of their solar panels for additional power.One of the things Dan comments on, is that the 20' turbine provides significant power at low speed. Not much updates have been given since then on pros/ cons of the larger machines.
respectfully,
Bill

Rover

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 08:13:46 PM »
Location plays such a huge amount into the equation , that it would also have to be factored in. Getting values for just rotor diameter would vary widely within the same class , and also for identical machines.

You post about having decent winds from fall to spring, pretty much lets one know you are not in an optimum location. I know because I have a simular situation, and probably should not have tried wind, but it is a hobby for me. I can say that variations from 10 to 100% are not uncommon based solely on location, height of tower ,  type of blade, etc.

You might end up with some numbers that point at what appears to be the top end producer, but realistic on the average across installations? probably  not.

Truely tough comparison to make
Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

jarrod9155

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 08:48:17 PM »
My average on a 18 footer grid tied right now is at  about 76 kWh a month in a low to mid  wind area about a 7 to 15 mph average . More a hobbie than a pay back .

bvan1941

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 10:36:52 PM »
Thanks to all respondents. I always want to know how well things are going with past projects-- especially the larger turbines. I know my are and my projects are only for my own experiments, but I do like hearing from builders that have the machines that can take advantage of the natural abundance of wind.
thanks again. This site is by far the best for inquisitive minds !
Bill

Seekscore

• Colorado Professional Repair
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 09:07:16 AM »
My homebrew 10ft machine was averaging about 25 kwh a month last fall before it had a major malfunction due to a self induced build error. It had impressive power when it nuked ~3300 watts :) I have a decent wind area but it was only on a test tower on about 12 foot off the ground. As best I can tell, my average wind speed for my area is 12.4 mph.

I've got a 12 ft machine that is getting ready to go up in the new few weeks. I had concrete poured yesterday for the footings. Just need to get the tilt up tower built. Its going to be on a 65ft tower and I did purchase data logging equipment from APRS world. As it so happens I also work with some software engineers who are going to customize the software for what I want. I am going to log wind speed, Power, RPM, voltage, Amps. I am hoping to generate a real world power curve. I figure the RPM would be interesting to log so that I may be able to see how the furling effects everything. I have a CNC router for making blades so once I get some good data with the set I have, I'm going to switch to another design I have (different airfoil) and compare them.

Mike

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 11:36:20 AM »
I have been looking at some figures for a 9ft machine. There is a great deal of variation from year to year, likely due to the poor site and the fact that some wind directions are useless.The machine is too low to be in good wind in any case.

The average wind speed here is between 8 and 9 mph.

The highest figures are just over 100kWh and this occurred three times in 12 years during the winter period. The worst case was under 1kWh one July.

I haven't averaged all the figures but I have taken a few typical years and it comes to about 40kWh per month. This machine has a boost converter for low winds and the matching direct is way better than most direct connected ones in the higher winds so although there are few days with significant wind over 20 mph these days contribute quite a lot to the score.

Flux

bvan1941

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 01:33:49 PM »
To all-thanks again for your time.
I've looked at some testing sites on the Web, with commercial turbines being tested under similar conditions and it would seem these turbines made by our members would compete exceedingly well at much, much, lower costs.
I'm hoping someone (Like Mr. Gipe) would use one of the "standard" 10'-20" turbines made here and test it against a commercial unit. it would not only highlight shoddy (expensive) commercial uniits but, would draw attention to the fact that "grass root" units are very capable of performing better than the hyped junk being sold.  Commercially tested units described on some testing Sites in Holland (Vreeland?) and here in windy areas of California have had trouble with reliability just in testing, far in excess of what i see here in this forum.
Maybe it would help some of our builders or our hosts in selling some of their proven ideas.
Bill

jarrod9155

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 03:15:09 PM »
I would like to know how a sky stream 3.6 compares to are homebrew turbines. They have a blade radius of 12 feet and show pretty high outputs on there sight .

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 04:11:26 PM »
My 10 foot 12 volt has averaged 3.46 kWh per day with output recorded religiously for 1 year and 11 months.  Highest peak output ever recorded was 102.9 amps.  The most power ever generated in one day was 12.16 kWh.

My 13 foot 12 volt has averaged 3.69 kWh per day with output recorded for 9 months.  Highest peak output ever recorded was 159.7 amps.  The most power ever generated in one day was 19.02 kWh.

The high peaks and power production for both turbines were achieved on October 27, 2010 during two days of sustained 30-60 mph winds during a record-breaking land-based Category III hurricane:
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/collections/special/columns/updraft/archive/2010/10/storm_intensifies_bomb_cycloge.shtml

I had to shut the 13 down for about one hour during that storm to replace the rectifier because it burned it out.  Without that shutdown it could've easily went over 20 kWh for one day.

The 10 foot is on a 54 foot tower, the 13 is on a 47 foot.  I live in an excellent wind area that averages 13 mph, with nothing but wind between my rotors and the horizon.
--
Chris

Timeless Turbines

• Larry's Turbine Site
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 08:13:10 PM »
     What kind of measuring instruments are being used, I am new to this and want to start keeping track,  The Dans and Gorge Came to Eastern Michigan University and taught a turbine building class, I got to pick the size, 12 footer Max 112 amps at 24 volt in an est.30 mph. It has been up two months. The school wants me to put the data on a web site for students to use for education, they will pay. I have an 8-1/2" offset and I need a larger tail to keep it into the wind. I know I am loosing a lot of energy, I bought a sheet of Dura Board to make the new tail 50 % larger. I will be looking into APRS World.  Thanks so much

people.emich.edu/lholmes
"More Power To Ya"

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 08:27:16 PM »
     What kind of measuring instruments are being used, I am new to this and want to start keeping track

I"m using Doc Wattson meters, modified with a CSB500-100 500 amp shunt.  They measure the actual power to the battery bank so the losses in wiring and rectifiers are already accounted for.
--
Chris

Seekscore

• Colorado Professional Repair
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 09:17:12 PM »
Chris,

They measure the actual power to the battery bank so the losses in wiring and rectifiers are already accounted for.

In your data logging, do you take into account the excess power that is dumped to the diversion load?

Mike

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 09:40:55 PM »
In your data logging, do you take into account the excess power that is dumped to the diversion load?

I don't have a diversion load.  We don't have grid power, most of our water is heated with the wind turbines and solar array, and I have a load increasing system on both of my inverters to do that.  When the battery bank voltage rises to 14.7 the controller switches on AC power to my water heater from one inverter, increasing the load on the inverter, and controlling the bank voltage via the extra inverter load.  When it rises to 15.0 volts the controller turns on the other heater element in the water heater, further increasing the load on the battery bank and controlling the voltage.  The elements are 4,500 watt 240 volt, driven at 120 volts by the inverters, so their actual draw is about 1,100 watts each.

My meter measures power into the battery bank in kWh (or amp-hours).  It does not take into account losses in the inverters during the DC -> AC conversion.  However, my inverters run about 97-98% efficient under normal loads (about 99% of the time) running lights, TV set, computers, 'fridge, freezer, ceiling fans, furnace blower - about 95% efficient at medium loads of 1.5-2.0 kW running microwave oven, wife's hair dryer, clothes washer - and about 92% efficient at full load running the water heater plus normal loads.  My inverters have built-in kW meters also and the losses are very small for the most part, making the readings I take from the Doc Wattsons "close enough".
--
Chris

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 12:12:29 AM »
Chris,

They measure the actual power to the battery bank so the losses in wiring and rectifiers are already accounted for.

Mike

Mike,
A different answer to your questions would be "you can".  Either you put the shunt directly at the battery's positive terminal, to measure only the current delivered to the battery, or you put the shunt on the output of the rectifier, and then it can give you the current delivered to all loads, including the battery.  Even full batteries accept some current which keeps them at the float voltage.  The charge controller sheds the rest to the diversion.  If you were to use two shunts, you could measure current both to the battery and to the diversion load separately. 
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 04:09:47 AM »
As far as the turbine is concerned you need the energy into the battery. What fraction you actually use depends on lots of factors. Anything diverted by a controller is wasted unless you make use of the heat.

If you have more than enough energy then it doesn't matter if you divert lots to waste but with most small stand alone systems you need to plan your load timing to make best use of the power. Windy days are the time to run big loads, I see little point in just heating a dump load unless it is heating your water supply.

If we look at energy used instead of produced the figures may not look very impressive especially if you spend hours dumping.

Flux

Timeless Turbines

• Larry's Turbine Site
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 08:07:00 AM »
     Thanks for the help.
Where is a good place to buy a Doc watson.

Love this site
"More Power To Ya"

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2010, 11:52:07 AM »
Where is a good place to buy a Doc watson.

I bought all my Doc Wattsons from Power Werx:
http://www.powerwerx.com/tools-meters/doc-wattson-meter-dc-inline.html

--
Chris

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2010, 12:24:46 PM »
Something nobody mentioned: ROI is different for some people.

Someone had a $100K quote for just getting the grid run to the house.
$50K later the RE system was done, for $50K less than just having wires run.
The ROI was the second the switch was turned on?
There was more than one guy in that situation.
Pretty sure those were mostly solar watts, but the concept is the same.

Other people use the RE to greatly reduce run time of a genny.
Fast ROI on that too.

Though it was worth mentioning.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2010, 01:09:51 PM »
Something nobody mentioned: ROI is different for some people.

Someone had a $100K quote for just getting the grid run to the house.
$50K later the RE system was done, for $50K less than just having wires run.
The ROI was the second the switch was turned on?
There was more than one guy in that situation.
Pretty sure those were mostly solar watts, but the concept is the same.

Other people use the RE to greatly reduce run time of a genny.
Fast ROI on that too.

Though it was worth mentioning.
G-

Yeah, and don't forget those of us who have it rather than a Bass Boat, RV or vintage muscle car!

Just another "ROI"

Oh and there is "Trying to be part of the solution rather than just another part of the problem".

Just different angles.

Tom

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2010, 06:40:33 PM »
Here's one way to modify the Doc Watson http://www.rc-electronics-usa.com/special-mods.html

If you have more than enough energy then it doesn't matter if you divert lots to waste but with most small stand alone systems you need to plan your load timing to make best use of the power. Windy days are the time to run big loads, I see little point in just heating a dump load unless it is heating your water supply.

Load timing is so important, during the last 2 months we have used direct from the solar system (saves battery life) on my residence an average 52% of daily AC load, highest being 71% and lowest 21%, the highest was transferring power to the other system while the sun shone.

With wind turbines some days are diamonds and some days are stone, I don't have logging on that system but I have always maintained an average of 15% from wind on that system, some days it's 200% many 0%, the turbines are in the lee of the hill somewhat.

allan
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2010, 06:52:15 PM »
If you have more than enough energy then it doesn't matter if you divert lots to waste but with most small stand alone systems you need to plan your load timing to make best use of the power

In my opinion it's better to spend money on a bigger battery bank instead of dump load resistors.  The battery bank stores that extra power you make on the good days so you can get thru the poor ones.  We have 3,000 amp-hours, which gives us 18 kWh of power from the inverters (from full charge down to 50%) and that alone has saved us from running our generator many days.

Some days the sun refuses to shine and the wind just won't blow so we get no hot water.  But we still want to take a hot shower at the end of the day so I flip on the manual switch and heat up 20 gallons with the inverters so we got hot water.  In the old days before I bought the bigger battery bank I used to have to run the generator to do that.
--
Chris

frackers

• Picard spits "Hello"
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2010, 08:55:39 PM »
Over the 18 months I have been monitoring my 10 footer I've seen over 30,000 amp/hours at 24volts nominal going into the battery bank. Thats the equivalent of half a megawatt-hour per year.

The grid cost of that power would be something like 2% of what I've paid out on batteries, generator parts, guy wires, cables etc but the ROI for me was when we were without power for a while after a large earthquake 3 months ago so I still had a water supply and the freezers with a year of meat and veg in them kept going.

I could have done it cheaper with a generator but the satisfaction sure help lower the adrenalin and blood pressure and soothed the nerves no end :)
Robin Down Under (Or Are You Up Over)

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2010, 03:09:49 PM »

In my opinion it's better to spend money on a bigger battery bank instead of dump load resistors.  The battery bank stores that extra power you make on the good days so you can get thru the poor ones.  We have 3,000 amp-hours, which gives us 18 kWh of power from the inverters (from full charge down to 50%) and that alone has saved us from running our generator many days.

Some days the sun refuses to shine and the wind just won't blow so we get no hot water.  But we still want to take a hot shower at the end of the day so I flip on the manual switch and heat up 20 gallons with the inverters so we got hot water.  In the old days before I bought the bigger battery bank I used to have to run the generator to do that.
--
Chris

It's hard to say there Chris - I often preach... small battery bank but it does need to be 'at least big enough'.  And the best answer  depends on ones opinions.  In my mind, if I think about a 48 Volt bank and go for say...  8  L16's, at about  $250 a pop, that's $2000.  If they last 10 years which is perhaps average, then $200/year or about $16.50/month for the 'battery bill'.  Depending on how often I need to run a generator, it may make sense to keep the bank small and run the  generator on occasion - but it depends on the energy usage and how much incoming charge there is.  I seem to use between 10-20 gallons of diesel (usually actually recycled vegi oil) in my back up generator per year, and my battery bank is about   600 amp hours.

So from a stand point of 'true independence' ~ I suppose the system that has a smaller 'outside bill' associated with it (the monthly cost of batteries) is better.  I've suffered along here with pretty worn out batteries that have next to no capacity  and do little other than 'clamp the voltage' of the turbine and the solar panels, and it's amazing how well I can get by  and still rarely run the generator.  To have lots of incoming power from solar and wind can really reduce the need for a large battery - even though, much of the power maybe wasted as heat assuming there is no good system in place to make use of the heat from the dump load.

Another little (big) thing I do here to reduce my need for a large battery (or backup generator) is to work around the weather.  I pump water from the well to fill my 600 cystern when it's windy.  We  also tend to vacuum, weld, do laundry  etc... when it's windy and conserve when it's not.

I find batteries to be toxic, big, expensive, fairly short lived, and not much fun at all.  I prefer to live with as small a one as possible.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 04:53:22 PM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2010, 04:20:05 PM »
I prefer to live with as small a one as possible.

Me too.
Years ago I would have agreed with Chris.

With the cost of lead and copper recently skyrocketing,
and the cost of neos and PVs falling like a comet,
it seems to make the most sense (monetarily) to go with more RE.

G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

scoraigwind

• www.scoraigwind.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2010, 06:32:43 PM »
1472-0
This is an idea of what you could get.  It's hard to be precise because it's very hard to measure the wind and very hard to be sure if the wind turbine is at its best or not but this gives a fair idea.
Hugh Piggott scoraigwind.co.uk

Fused

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2010, 07:07:38 PM »
I have a hard time understanding the wattage between the 6 footer and the 8 footer.
The output doubles.
As you go up in size, the wattage increases but nothing like it does between the 6 and 8 footer.

Is it the disk size increase?
A jump in wire size in the stator?

Im just con- Fused

:o

Fused

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2010, 09:40:31 PM »
I pump water from the well to fill my 600 cystern when it's windy.  We  also tend to vacuum, weld, do laundry  etc... when it's windy and conserve when it's not.

Absolutely.  We do the same thing.  But I didn't buy big expensive batteries.  We just use Group 29 marine deep cycle batteries that are rated at 125 amp-hours each.  24 of them costs about $2,100 at today's prices, but they last 10-12 years if you take care of them.  Some of the oldest ones are going on 9 years old and they still have a clean bill of health.  And if one does go bad I take it to Farm & Fleet where it's recycled and buy a new one and I'm only out $88.

My system is 12 volt, so 3,000 amp-hours is equivalent to 1,000 amp-hours on a 48 volt system.  I used to have only 2,000 amp-hours of capacity and going to 3,000 amp-hours in the past year has reduced the amount of hours on the gas charger quite a bit.  Someday we'd like to be able to make enough power to live like "normal" people that have grid power.  And on good days we come pretty close.  But when the wind don't blow and the sun don't shine we cut out TV, computers, wait with the laundry, go buy a cup of coffee at the convenience store instead of making our own, and many other little things to cut the amp-hours we use out of the bank so we don't have to run the charger.

One of the "mistakes", if you want to call it that, that I've made is heating our water with electricity.  We have propane, but the (gas) water heater sprung a leak some time back and I never replaced it.  In the mean time I had tried all sorts of elaborate schemes to heat water with wind and solar power, and got it to work well enough so that we got hot water all the time.  For us, having the extra battery capacity is nice when we get a bad day with no power coming in because I can heat up a bit of water off the batteries without running the gas charger - it's especially nice in the winter time when it's 10 below zero outside because it's no fun to go out there and start the gas charger to make hot water   :)
--
Chris

bvan1941

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2010, 10:16:26 PM »
Scoraigwind,
Thanks for the spread of information on the various size turbines verse wind speeds. It was the answers I really was driving for. A few other members also were nice enough to give results on their turbines.
Have visited your website,lots of good information for us all. Hope to hear about your latest endeavors as well.
Bill

scoraigwind

• www.scoraigwind.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2010, 02:27:18 AM »
I have a hard time understanding the wattage between the 6 footer and the 8 footer.
The output doubles.
As you go up in size, the wattage increases but nothing like it does between the 6 and 8 footer.

Is it the disk size increase?
A jump in wire size in the stator?

Im just con- Fused

:o

Fused
Hi Fused,

It's simple really.  8 squared is 64, which is almost twice as large as 6 squared which is 36.  Size matters, and it varies according to the square of the diameter.

The figures in the table can only be rough guides so don't start working stuff out to several decimal places but it will get you into the right ballpark as they say.
Hugh Piggott scoraigwind.co.uk

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2010, 11:22:38 AM »
I don't have gobs of data on our machines.
For my 20' diameter turbine when I did have a doc wattson meter on it, I was seeing usually from 200 - 500kWh/month.  That meter died over a year ago though and I never had wind speed data there.

We logged energy on a neighbors 12' turbine that we made a couple years ago.  For the month of Oct, he got 69kWh, average wind speed that month was only 7.8mph though.  Half that energy came in during one 'windy' week.
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2010, 03:40:13 PM »
Fused,

Hugh's answer cuts to the heart of the matter, but I feel like adding that "rating" is a subjective term.

The rating of any device usually comes from the ability of its weakest part to tolerate some condition of operation.  One strand of wire free in the air can take a very large current, wrap it up in plastic jacketing and then the temperature "rating" is limited by plastic melting off.  Change the jacket material type and you can double the current rating of that same wire.  Same wire, different rating, many reasons.  And that's an extremely simple example.

Consider the case of Mariah Windpower.  Up until a few years ago, their windspire was rated at 1100 watts.  Then they subjected it to NREL tests and reality sunk in.  They may have "rated" their system by plugging it into a VFD source and demonstrated that the boards can withstand 1100 watts in the lab.  When out in the wind, rain, vibration, dust, and so on, those inverters fried.  Rating under certain conditions led to optimistic projections.  Since the numbers are high and that's what the sales people want to hear, that becomes the truth.  The reality of the situation may be different.  To their credit they seem to have gone back home and fixed a few things, but the current claim of 1200 watts is not independently substantiated, to my knowledge.

Flip the coin:  Dan B just posted about bolting his recently built alternator, and included pictures of it bolted onto a car wheel to drive it for a few hours.  There is a case of testing out in the cold snow, vibration, etc and Dan was able to monitor critical things like surface temperature of the stator.  Now he's got empirical proof that the alternator can sustain 1.5kW, and brief periods of 2kW probably won't do damage.  This data will be very valuable to him for sizing and selecting parameters for the blades to match the alternator.  So....  what's the "rating" of THAT system? 
www.sparweb.ca