Author Topic: my dump controller  (Read 33699 times)

snake21

Re: my dump controller
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2010, 03:00:50 PM »
hi friend,1 last question,with what did you made the coil for the dump load?i can make some instead of buying expensive resistors.can i make dump load coils like your using 2-3mm copper wire?

thanks

XOKE

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2010, 05:10:06 PM »
Hi snake21

I use 1,0mm Nickel wire, the ceramic tubes have a diameter of 1,5cm and a lenght of 17 cm, i use pieces of 1,0mm stainless steel for the legs and connections.

All the bolts,  washers and all-thread rod are stainless steel.

I measure the wire ohms with my multimeter, first step measure the ohms of the multimeter “needles”.

If the ohms of the needles are 1.6 ohm (example) and if you need a 2,4 ohm (example) for the coils, you need to add (1,6 + 2,4) before cut the wire.

Now you just need to know how many ohms do you need for each resistance.

You can use this site its very easy to calculate ohms law

http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/ohmslawcalculators.asp

If you are use a GHurd controller, and if each FET can andle 6 amps, just need to know the voltage for dump to calculate the ohms.

About use other metal instead nickel wire, i think that can be done, the resistance of the copper isn´t the same as nickel and diameter and lenght of the coils will be different. (try to use fence wire).

Regards

xoke

XOKE

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2010, 02:03:57 PM »
Hi guys.

Today i have tested My GHurd controller and really works fine, everytime the voltage reach to 13,8 Volts the dump led turn on and the controller send a signal to all FET´s
and the voltage never been high than the voltage dump.

how many watts can a GHurd controller hold on?

If i have 2 turbines can have just one controller with a very large number of resistors. I have build 16 with 2,4 ohms (13,8 volts and 2,4 ohms =» 79.35 Watts), the 16 resistor can get 1260 Watts. Not bad?

Hi snake21, check this might be interested

http://www.thebackshed.com/Windmill/articles/200wDumpLoad.asp

regards

xoke

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2010, 04:05:41 PM »
and really works fine,
Not bad?
Not bad!
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

opo

• homepage
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2010, 04:30:19 PM »
Congratulations!

You can parallel several FETS instead of using a lot of resistors with a single FET.

I think each FET (the recommended Z44) can handle about 5 amps, that's close to 60W at 12V. As far as I know, there is no fixed limit in the number of FETS you can parallel.

If you are planning to produce a lot of power, then a second ghurd controller, with its own set of resistors, set to dump  say at 15v will be a better choice. Search the forum for "two stage dump controller" I think Woof was the one who built one these.

Cheers,

Octavio
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 04:37:21 PM by opo »
http://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=opo Check my apps aFoil and aFoilSim on android market.

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2010, 07:52:04 PM »
Here is my Ghurd 2 stage dump controller
http://www.fieldlines.com/board/index.php/topic,129731.html

zvizdic

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2010, 10:31:06 PM »
6 paralleld mosfet 100k gate to source switching 10' turbine dump load.  At  48 v  12A

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 10:42:37 PM by zvizdic »

XOKE

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2010, 04:33:19 AM »
OK.

Nice things seen here

When I have my next turbine done I´ll do a upgrade to my dump box, and i consider to build a second stage with a small diference of voltage dump

Thanks to all

Regards

xoke

snake21

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2010, 11:01:00 AM »
nice work.i think i will make my own dump loads working with ghurd controller.ghurd told me not to use his contoller with high amperage and to use a commercial one instead but i can see that the controller can preform very well.as well as a commercial one ignoring options like equalization.

XOKE

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2010, 01:12:09 PM »
Hi guys,

Last nigh the wind was so strong that even with some lights on, the controller was dump all a time.

For some moments all resisitors can´t hold all the power and the voltage get close to 15 volts.

I can read for moments 60 amps (use a multimeter in mv in 90 cm of 16mm2 wire system).

That´s really a lot of power, i really need to put more 2 or 3 resistors on my dump box.

The led (dump) blink so fast that it was like is always  on.

Im happy about the controller, GHurd really invented a very good controller,

More credits for he

xoke

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2010, 01:40:00 PM »

Im happy about the controller, GHurd really invented a very good controller,

More credits for he

xoke

X;

Careful, now. He will get all big in the head and raise his prices.

I typically complain and make up problems just so he doesn't...  :D ;D ;)

Seriously, though, he does have a nice controller that is very versatile and robust.

I guess he didn't waste his money on that schooling after all.

Tom

opo

• homepage
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2010, 02:21:06 PM »

X;

Careful, now. He will get all big in the head and raise his prices.

I typically complain and make up problems just so he doesn't...  :D ;D ;)

Seriously, though, he does have a nice controller that is very versatile and robust.

I guess he didn't waste his money on that schooling after all.

Tom

G is probably now working on a "Ghurds's inside" type of logo...

http://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=opo Check my apps aFoil and aFoilSim on android market.

snake21

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2010, 02:57:12 PM »
hi,good to see your controller working flawlessly,but beware,sealed battery is more sesitive compared to flodded.you still remember i told you to add some more dump loads?you see now how much power these beast can produce?if ever you have some more excess power than expected,no need to get worried,just connect 1 or 2 car headlight to your battery till the wind speed decreases.,i think it will be ok.the turbine is rated 700w,you used thinner wire and even that you obtained about 800w.you will learn with some experience.since you make your own dump load,i would advise you to connect 3 to 4 more dump loads like you actually have.

one thing else,you can use fdp fets instead of irf fets,fdp one is for 12v only and can hold up to 10amps.then you will only need to double the dumpload wire length.

would you mind posting some pics of your complete control box?

XOKE

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2010, 04:17:13 PM »
Hi Snake21,

You are sure about put more resistors, i still have 7 or 8 resitors like that.

Ill connect a few more, i never tought  watch such a big number of amps. Better no?

About the fet´s i still have more at home too.

I don´t mind at all, everytime for the people of this forum

This is the box like its on the wall.

Regards

xoke

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2010, 06:03:26 PM »
Yes, it needs more resistors.
The voltage going past the set point means the dump load is not big enough.

It does have the controller circuit wires going all the way to the battery by themselves, correct?
If the controller circuit, and the dump loads, share the same wires, it can make it blink very quickly.  In theory, it could also let the battery voltage rise slightly above the set point.

and raise his prices
Sad to say it, but that is going to happen before very long.
For perspective, Postage has increased 5 times since I started doing these things, and I have not increased any prices since day 1.
I should have done it a while ago, but the webmaster (Mrs. Ghurd) did not have time to help me with it (that means do it for me).

G is probably now working on a "Ghurds's inside" type of logo...
Hmmm...  Good Idea!
One more project for the wife.   :D

G-

XOKE

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2010, 07:11:04 PM »
Hi Mr. GHurd,

The controller circuit wires are not connected direct to the battery by themselves; they are connected in the power line.

This is my schematic and another that you have seen before.

1554-0

I'll do the modifications tomorrow, thanks

xoke

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2010, 07:21:54 PM »
The controller may be seeing significant extra voltage from the charging amps.
I still think you need to add more resistors.

That part at the bottom is pretty important...
"3 sets of wires go to the battery terminals (4 if the inverter or lights are counted)"
G-
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 07:40:41 PM by ghurd »

XOKE

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2010, 07:33:38 PM »
Ok

Ill do both modifications,

thanks one more time, all small things are really significant

Regards

Xoke

snake21

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2010, 06:34:48 AM »
yes,Mr ghurd is right,you need to add some more dump load.1 way to be sure if your system is working properly is that the battery voltage should never exceed 13.8v.at 14v,it is still ok but beyond that,NO,it will cause damage to your battery.if you saw 15v in your battery,this means that you dont have enough dump load,some power which is not burnt in the dump is still charging the battery.you should be careful friend.
an example:if your battery is fully charged,your turbine  is producing 900w and you have dumpload of 600w,then,the excess 300w will still charging the battery.thats why the voltage will keep on rising

since your turbine produce about 900w,i think that your dump load should be around 1300w to 1500w power dissipation.

hopeour help is very helpful. ;D

snake21

« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2010, 06:53:01 AM »
one thing else i want to tell you.you said that you have 5 batteries rated 12v and 53A each which makes a total of 265A at 12v,you will add another 1 in some weeks which will make a total of 318A at 12v.right?

what i learn here is that you need to charge a battery or battery bank with only 10% to a maximum of 15% of the total amps of your battery.

in your case,the charging current should not exceed about 47amps for 318amps of battery

please someone correct if i am wrong

XOKE

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2010, 07:10:06 AM »
Hi Snake21

I made mistake the batteries are 12v 63Ah, i have 5 (315 Ah) with one more will be 378 Ah

thanks one more time for the help, anytime you need some thing, just send a post, ok

xoke

XOKE

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2010, 12:13:16 PM »
Hi Mr. GHurd

“The controller may be seeing significant extra voltage from the charging amps.”

I have already connect the controller direct to battery,

Now the led doesn't blink, just stay a second or less,

You are right, first problem solved

The controller do a little click when dump, that's correct?

During the next week I will do the rest

Xoke

opo

• homepage
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2010, 03:06:59 PM »

My controller goes: chirp... Chirp

instead of click click
 :D

octavio

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2010, 03:39:27 PM »

My controller goes: chirp... Chirp

instead of click click
 :D

octavio

Mine just lets out tiny puffs of smoke.

He said it was the stealth version  ???

Tom

opo

• homepage
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2010, 04:26:06 PM »

Mine just lets out tiny puffs of smoke.

He said it was the stealth version  ???

Tom

must be a groovy one puffing 8) on that stuff again.

David HK

« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2010, 04:59:49 PM »
My version of Ghurds controller made high speed clicking and buzzing noises when I first set it up.

As a result I replaced all power carrying wires wires with thicker wires and most important of all I made sure that the wire connector posts were screwed down really tight.

I have never had any more buzzing and clicking since.

Pleases see the following photographs which show my multiple FET unit, the wiring connector posts, and my wired wound resistor dump load.

David in Hong Kong

David HK

« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2010, 05:02:05 PM »
One photographs was incorrect - here is the controller unit:-

David in HK

rossw

« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2010, 06:48:25 PM »
what i learn here is that you need to charge a battery or battery bank with only 10% to a maximum of 15% of the total amps of your battery.

in your case,the charging current should not exceed about 47amps for 318amps of battery

please someone correct if i am wrong

It depends a lot on the battery chemistry, plate construction, temperature, SoC and other conditions.

1/10 capacity is a pretty safe general rule, but many cells are designed to SAFELY and REGULARLY recharge in under an hour. Whichever way you cut it, that means they need to soak up current at their entire rated capacity (or more) in an hour!

Thus, a 100 amp-hour pack of these cells can soak up 100 amps for an hour to recharge!

This doesn't hold true for most conventional flooded lead-acid cells, but there are some lead-acid (like the spiral-wound AGMs) that claim to be able to take over 100A charge current - for a battery with a capacity of only 140 amphours.

I've exploded AA sized NiCd cells by charging 450ma-h cells at 400ma for 2 hours. (they SHOULD have just vented, but they went off like bombs - a very good demonstration!)

YMMV.

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2010, 10:36:02 PM »
david-  nice looking dump load!

i just have to ask: are those resistors propped up with tabasco sauce screw on tops? 

adam

David HK

« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2010, 10:56:10 PM »
Adam,

No is the answer to your question. These resistors were in a box in my local scrapyard and I bought 4 pieces.

I am fairly certain they are Powerohm resistors and you can read about them here:-

http://www.powerohm.com/pdfs/WRCAT00.pdf

They are good quality items and new the cost about US$37 each. I purchased mine for about US$7 each.

They are very good and more than adequate for my needs..I made the protective box myself.

David in HK

XOKE

« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2010, 09:23:41 AM »
Hi guys,

I have already buy a new battery, now there's 378 Ah.

I'm starting to collect parts in my garage for the next 4 resistors (317 watts).

First time I made my resistors I use 1N5817 (1A 20V) diode as flyback diode, the shop close to me don´t have none at moment, I can use 1N5819 (1A 40V) probably it´s the same?

1597-0

Snake21 said:

you can use fdp fets instead of irf fets,fdp one is for 12v only and can hold up to 10amps.then you will only need to double the dumpload wire length.

That´s a very good idea I can do it for the next dump box when my second turbine is ready, so I don´t need so many resistors and FET´s for the same power dump. The flyback diodes for 10 amps Power FET can be the same or need to be another one?

I'm asking this because I want to prepare the buy list and you guys have been a great help.

xoke

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2010, 10:22:10 AM »
1N5819 will work just as well as 1N5817.

With home made power resistors running 10A through a single fet which has low resistance and probably a low max working voltage, best use a 3A Schottky (1N5820 or 1N5822) for the flyback diodes.

G-

XOKE

« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2010, 11:07:37 AM »
Ok Mr G.

you´re a great help for homebuilders that are not expert in electronics.

If I found thicker wire I´ll do a 10A resistor, or a longer resistor with the same wire

thank´s

xoke