Author Topic: Harris turbine bearing replacement  (Read 3660 times)

camillitech

• Life at the end of the road
Harris turbine bearing replacement
« on: June 22, 2010, 05:39:44 AM »
Hi Guys,

anyone changed the bearings on a Harris Hydro turbine  ??? My mate runs a 48v one about 4 years old, PM type with brass nozzle tubes. It's beginning to sound as if the bearings are on their way out so I said I'd change them for him. Are there any issues? is it straight forward?

Cheers, Paul

hydrosun

Re: Harris turbine bearing replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 12:35:14 PM »
The way to tell when to change the bearings is to grasp the pelton wheel and see if you can wiggle it. If it is still solid leave it and check next year. The toughest part about changing the bottom bearing is getting the pelton wheel off. Put an allen wrench into the bottom of the shaft and then try not to bend any of the buckets when turning the pelton counter clockwise. If grease was applied to the threads you should be able to get it off with your hands. Maybe put  thick gloves on to keep from cutting yourself on the ever sharpening buckets. Then take the three allen head bolts to remove the top cover. Then tap the rotor shaft out from the bottom. You may have to emory cloth the shaft and oil it to make it smooth enough to slide out of the bearing. Then three screws hold the bearing in place. It's a common number 6203. The top roller bearing rarely wears and I usually just put some grease on it.
Be sure to keep track of the placement of washers and spacers on the lower shaft and replace in the same order.
I'm guessing that this unit is working year round as some of the turbines I work on have been in for 9 years without replacement of bearings. But they shut down for the summer.
Chris

camillitech

• Life at the end of the road
Re: Harris turbine bearing replacement
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 06:49:02 AM »
Many thanks for that Chris,

you're right enough, it does run year round and certainly the top bearing seems quiet enough. I was reluctant to strip it as getting any parts to the island can be an issue but as you kindly supplied the number I've just ordered a couple.

Thanks again, Paul