Author Topic: Question about 17ft blades  (Read 3183 times)

freejuice

Question about 17ft blades
« on: April 22, 2010, 04:47:45 PM »
Hi everyone,
 Yep I have caught the 17ft bug...well, its a fever now.
So I have a question about the blades.
 But first, here's what I have plan on using, white pine, either 2x4 stock or 1x3 stock ( as long as the wood thickness at the root is 2 inches after planing the boards down even.

So, what are you guys gluing up the wood with, Titebond III, Elmer's carpentry glue, something waterproof, etc.? What wood stock thickness did you use? ( from what I have seen it looks like both 2x4's and 1x "something's" are being used.

I dont want to put a ton of effort into building some blades only to watch them come apart because of a bad glue up.
 I plan on using a paint brush for full coverage on both sides before clamping them up...so I'm open for any and all suggestions.
 Thanks,
 Gavin

halfcrazy

Re: Question about 17ft blades
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 05:46:43 PM »
we used Titebond III I just could not justify the expense for gorilla glue and I have had great luck with Titebond III on other outdoor projects

freejuice

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 05:06:56 AM »
 Half Crazy,
 Thanks I was leaning towards titebond III, but wanted to make sure. Those cedar blades folks are making look nice and cedar is a good wood to work with, but here on the east side of things western red cedar is a little pricey, so white pine  will be the project wood.
 All the best,
 Gavin

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 02:06:47 PM »
You can look for "wood laminating resin" and find a variety of products.  I have only used a System 3 epoxy, which works well, spreads easly, soaks in just a little, flows around the joint, etc.  It's hardly the only product on the market, of course.
If the resin is too hard when it's cured, you will notice it affect your shave and sanding as you cut through it.  That's a reason not to use something like a structural epoxy or something - too hard relative to the wood.
Different glues require different amounts of clamping, so when picking a laminating resin, find out what the recommended procedure is.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Ekij

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 02:34:50 PM »
Why do you not screw the laminates together (and fill in the screw holes).
Sticky things de-sticky but nothing beats a good screw.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 03:24:23 PM »
I used Titebond III but I won't use it next time, it is excellent glue but the working time is wayyyyy to short, I used 1x4 mostly clear white pine, you can only glue up about a quarter of the boards before the glue starts going south, next time I'm gonna use something nice and slow, the 1x4's allow a little more pitch at the root.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

freejuice

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 05:39:03 PM »
Hi Fabricator,
 I was also thinking of 1x's but more like 1x3's...how much pitch at the root do you have? ....did you use full board thickness...somewhere in the neigborhood of 3.5 inches?
 All the best,
 Gavin

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 05:53:48 PM »
Yeah, I think the finished thickness was 3.625.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.