Author Topic: how to build laminate blades?  (Read 2247 times)

SnowGhost

how to build laminate blades?
« on: January 28, 2009, 04:38:32 AM »
I'm interested in building a 10' mill, as in the plans.  I've had a quick look around and I may have some difficulty finding 5' long 2x8 planks.  You'd think it'd be easy but there you go.

So, maybe glueing a number of 2x2's together is a good way to go.  Is there a preferred direction of putting the grain together, for strength, or ease of working and other reasons?  All vertical or all horizontal or a mix or ....?

« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 04:38:32 AM by (unknown) »

wdyasq

Re: how to build laminate blades?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 05:38:49 AM »
There are at least three reasons for laminating wood into vertical grain blanks for carving. They are: strength, flexibility and ease of carving.

If it were my project (and it isn't), I would select relatively knot free flat sawn wood. small 'pin knots' and such would be acceptable. I would get one edge straight then rip into suitable widths. Any true 'center heart' wood I would kindly throw away.

These strips would be glued into a carving blank in a manor similar to this:

|(((|)))|(((|)))|

I would let glue cure and then carve.

Ron

« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 05:38:49 AM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

sk windpirate

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 08:05:48 AM »
Snowgoose

I'm not sure where you live. I just find it hard to belive there would not be any 2x8 planks in your area. Have you tried a lumber supplier? Laminating your woood will make it stronger, If done right. But It's a lot more work too. Make sure that you use a glue that will stand up to the out doors. You do not want your blades comming apart.

Rember: Nothing is so mean as a strong wind!!

« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 08:05:48 AM by sk windpirate »

imsmooth

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 11:44:26 AM »
I went to a lumber mill and was able to purchase 5' long 2.5" x 10" wide pieces of lumber.  You just need to look around.  Try googling lumber mill and your State/area.  You want to get it rough cut, which is cheaper.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 11:44:26 AM by imsmooth »

Barb

like an airplane propeller
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 05:47:00 PM »
Make sure your wood is smooth where you sandwich it together. Your grain is perpendicular with the shaft. Go out to the airport and look at the wooden propellers on the old tail draggers. Looking at the grain at the hub will clue you in. Think of snow skis and how they are sandwiched together. Same thing. Google for airfoil specs if you don't have them already. Making an efficient prop from scratch isn't for the weak but it is rewarding in more than just monetary value. I wish you the best
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 05:47:00 PM by Barb »