Author Topic: Test coil voltage  (Read 3019 times)

philk

Test coil voltage
« on: November 02, 2008, 03:00:52 AM »
Working on my first 10' gen, Im using 2x 1/2 round n42 mags dual rotar 24v for battery charging. I made a test coil with #16 and 15# wire 45 turns (star) and i get 3.5v ac

at 140 rpm.

I made the stator and when I tested it for cut in I only get 20v dc after going through a bridge at 140rpm. Not sure what went wrong with my math. It hits 24vdc at 160 rpm.

3.5 x 1.4 = 4.9 x 1.73 =8.47 x3 =25.5v

The air gap is about .010 on both sides of the stator, almost rubing.

any ideas?

Thanks

« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 03:00:52 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Test coil voltage
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 02:16:12 AM »
Your maths looks ok. You didn't allow anything for diode drop but it is only a small factor.

This equation assumes that the waveform is not a bad approximation to a sine wave and this is generally the case. I have never tried round magnets but I wouldn't have expected much difference.

How accurate were the speed figures for the test coil and how accurate is the new speed?

Was the test coil exactly the same shape as the final ones? if you used a somewhat arbitrary size for the test coil then it may have upset things.

Meter accuracy may be an issue, I have little faith in some of the cheap meters on low voltage ac and this combined with waveform and possibly frequency variation may have had some effect.

I assume you are using a 3 phase bridge, if it is a quick test with a pair of leads connected to a single phase bridge then it will be wrong.

Failing all this just fly it and see what happens. Unless you are in a dreadfully poor area it will perform better over most of the wind speed range. My 10 ft machine with a boost converter comes in at 200 rpm on the main alternator and still starts producing at 8mph ( the output is not as good and a bit choppy compared with the converter). At 10 mph it is fine on the main alternator and I bring the converter off at 12 mph anyway. The converter starts it charging at 6mph but for a direct connected machine you would be foolish to try to get this low as it would really mess up the higher wind performance.

I am sure that cut in at 180 will be perfectly ok but it would have been nice to have a bit more mechanical clearance. I think I would give it a little more and let the cut in go even higher( 1/16" clearance each side wont add much to the speed).

Just watch your furling it may furl a bit higher running faster but it may not actually run faster in higher winds, that depends on total circuit resistance more than cut in speed.

Flux

« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 02:16:12 AM by Flux »

philk

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 07:55:06 AM »
I was using a single bridge, i hooked all 3 up and presto i got 25.5vdc. Now i can increase my air gap a bit.

Thanks flux!!!!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 07:55:06 AM by philk »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 10:02:57 AM »
Good.

Sometimes it is difficult to imagine all the things that could be wrong without seeing the set up.

The 1.4 factor only works with a full wave 3 phase rectifier the factor for single phase is about .9 but the thing is rough dc and capacitance and waveform make a lot more difference. Even so your 20v wasn't far off the 18v of theory.

Pleased it is sorted.

Flux

« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 10:02:57 AM by Flux »