Author Topic: First turbine finding a good generator  (Read 2661 times)

DB2

First turbine finding a good generator
« on: October 01, 2008, 02:24:41 PM »
Well I'm starting my first serious wind project, I few weeks ago in here in PA we had a two day power outage, While I didn't really need electricity for most things.  It did make writting a research paper for class the next day interseting, sat in my jeep, with a 200watt power inverter almost all night.  

As for the turbine I'm planning on building two turbines using three PVC blades a large on cut from a section of 12inch dia. PVC pipe Im going to heat the leading edge and form the PVC  around a pipe to form a better airfoil then I was going to wrap it in fiberglass I was going to use 6 foot blades on this one. On the smaller turbine I not going to use 8" PVC with the standard cut. I have a 30' tower I can use with the large one the smaller I'll have to figure something out. For batteries I have two 130ah deep cycles and a homemade charge controller that I used with my solar panel.  

Now for the hard part, the generator I've got a collection of motors on my work bench but I have two in mind a 120volt dc pm motor from a lawn mower with a flick of the shaft I can light a flash light bulb, but when I hook up a 12v tail light bulb it gets very hard to turn if I short the leads it gets almost impossible to turn. I remember seeing this was a good thing but that might be for EVcars.

The second motor is a 24v dc pm from a electric scooter I used it for another project before and damaged the windings so Im going to rewind it problem is how, currently it has 28 turns of #21 wire on each coil was planning on going to 45-55turns of #26. Another motor I'm thinking of  is a geared motor from a power wheel chair it produces 10volts at 20 rpm at the wheel with a 30:1 gear box it mean 600 motor rpm but it takes a huge amount of torqe to turn it would need a alot of blades.

So any hints or suggestions?

Image fixed.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 02:24:41 PM by (unknown) »

velacreations

Re: First turbine finding a good generator
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 05:38:10 PM »
If it is your first turbine, you might want to start with something smaller.  But if this is your first BIG turbine, I think you are on the right track. Would you be willing to use gears, chains or pulleys/belts?  If so, your off the shelve motor options are numerous.  

I think the lawn mower one will work.  Hook it to a lathe and see output vs rpm.  Also, when doing the lathe, get a decent load, like a bank of dead batteries and measure your amps as well as volts, to really see the power you have there and if your blades will be able to match it. Treadmills are another good motor source, but may require rpms out of your range with those blades.

Do some bench tests on a lathe to get some ideas before putting it all together.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 05:38:10 PM by velacreations »