Author Topic: HD Gen test bed with a twist  (Read 3061 times)

FrankG

HD Gen test bed with a twist
« on: December 19, 2006, 01:53:28 PM »
The link below is to (yet another) Hard Disk based generator, based largely on MickS's success as posted earliert this year.

The "Twist" on this is that the test bed will be a human powered recumbent drive system...

http://www.theworkshop.ca/energy/bengen/bengen.htm

FrankG

www.theworkshop.ca

frank@theworkshop.ca

« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 01:53:28 PM by (unknown) »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: HD Gen test bed with a twist
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 09:09:54 AM »
FrankG;

Looks like it's going to be a winner!!

Also , welcome to the world of "bent" Trikes.

I have a friend that has a website all about bent-trikes, he aslo gives the plans out for mostly free. He does ask that if you make any money off them to please send a small donation to his listed charity.

I'll be keeping an eye on this, I enjoy the honest candor. You add both the success and failures .

Keep up the good work

Merry Christmas

Bruce S

« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 09:09:54 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

richhagen

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 10:27:23 AM »
Very interesting Frank.  

I think after pedaling for a bit, you will really appreciate the power of the wind.  

What CAD/CAM did you use to carve the magnet template?  I've been writing the G-Code by hand, and although I have access to CAD to generate .DXF files, I cannot seem to find anything to accurately convert them, especially 3D forms to G-codes.  Even the coding for my blades has basically been purpose written scripts between Access, Excel, Crystal Reports and VB.  I have tried ACE converter, but that only seems to work for 2D shapes after tweaking for the tool off sets, and I have yet another pinewood derby car to carve this year, so I am curious as to how you do it.  For things I am going to build a lot of, the scripting works OK, but it would be nice to have a way to go quickly and accurately from screen to mill for one off projects like a magnet template, or a pinewood derby car without having to hand code everything.  Rich

« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 10:27:23 AM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

FrankG

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 11:28:30 AM »
Bruce,

Thanks for the comments, The idea of a bent trike has really got me pumped... I cobbled together an electric bike of sorts based around the standard Currie Electro-drive kit last summer. It works great, but lacks any real carrying capacity as I use it primarily to get to the Lake 12Km away... Also I have to accept that with my vision so poor it has an effect on my sense of balance.

I'm really hoping that the stability of a trike config and the ability to at least tote a dozen beers without a back-pack can be met before the spring.

Rich,

I think we talked (offline) about Gcode before... nothing has changed on my end, I'm still stuck in the 2.5D world of Corel Draw & Ace Converter... Like you I do a lot of heavy editing of the Gcode to accomplish multiple passes. Though I haven't scripted or gone into VB or VBA yet.

There is a fellow named Terry in the UK that has made some pretty impressive blades using tru-3D machining... We've exchanged a couple of Emails in the past but I didn't want to pester him until the Table router is done.

http://www.homemade-wind-turbines.co.uk/ is the last link I could find but the site isn't up at this moment... (or my connection is down)

I try to keep a perptual list of goals/objectives that spin out into the various projects for theworkshop.ca, at present the table based CNC Mill is stalled due to the generator (which is at the top of the list). I couldn't see moving forward on a dedicated "Blade Carver" if I couldn't make a simple 100 - 250Watt Genny. Once the Router is up & running, 3D maching will be at the top of the list.

With so many interests, priorities and projects it's almost a full time job saying "No to the Good", to be able to say "Yes to the Best"

I've started clearing the shop a bit to start into coil winding this weekend.

FrankG

www.theworkshop.ca

frank@theworkshop.ca

« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 11:28:30 AM by FrankG »

richhagen

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 01:06:22 PM »
The blade codes I can generate due to the scripting I have done for that, it's the other stuff, jigs, workholders, and one off stuff that's giving me problems.  I am working on this right now, and if I come up with a good solution, I will shoot you an e-mail.  Your projects and interests are very similar, and the time issues as well.  Rich
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 01:06:22 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

rotornuts

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 11:02:30 PM »
Rich, try this program. The creator is beta testing and while the graphics aren't windows XP soft the program is very capable and I actually prefer it to Cimco edit V5 which comes bundled with Mastercam.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27709

Lots of other goodies at that site as well.

Mike

« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 11:02:30 PM by rotornuts »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 11:42:41 AM »
FrankG

Trikes are wonderous gem of life. Here's the link I spoke about.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/bowden10/DD.html

Very nice people. Just send him an email and he'll respond about the plans.

Also , on his website click on the trailer, you'll love it for looking for something to carry more than a couple cold ones.

I read with great interest your about the bulding of the bike. Made for fun reading.

Cheers

Bruce S

PS the sidewinder is currently the one I have at the welders :--)

« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 11:42:41 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

FrankG

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 04:12:36 AM »
Hey Bruce,

Thanks for the link... I've just checked out the site & it's a fellow in Toronto, Ontario not far (350Km) from me...

If you get a chance drop me a line off-line as I have a few questions that I'd like to bounce off you that are Bent related...

frank@theworkshop.ca

« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 04:12:36 AM by FrankG »