Author Topic: Temporary Coil mount  (Read 3318 times)

kevindtimm

Temporary Coil mount
« on: September 29, 2006, 03:15:06 PM »
I've got my magnets mounted to the saw blades, the blades fitted with bearings, the 'jacking' screws fitted and adjusted, now all I have to do is figure out a temporary mount for a single coil (105 turns of 20ga) as I'm not steady enough to hold the coil in place (besides the obvious magnetic attraction to the coil).

So, what kind of setups have you guys done to do this?

BTW, I was able to hold the coil in place and spin the rotor, got as much as 30mv peaks but I'm guessing (hoping) I'll get better once I can get the gap down and the speed up to 100rpm or so.  Doesn't sound like much, but it's my first 'generated' power from this model.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 03:15:06 PM by (unknown) »

terry5732

Re: Temporary Coil mount
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 06:50:59 PM »
You shouldn't be having attraction to the coil. You will have repulsion under load.

Find a piece of thin wood strip the same thickness as coil, cut out coil shape in wood, insert coil and wrap with masking tape. The longer the wood strip, the easier to find a way to hold/adjust it.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 06:50:59 PM by terry5732 »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 06:52:15 PM »
i just used a piece of wood that was tha sam thickness as the coil. I made some cutouts that more or less fit the magnets, and taped the coils in there.

Here is a picture of my electric coil winder and the wood peice that I described with a test coil taped in place.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 06:52:15 PM by wooferhound »

stephent

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 07:26:41 PM »
30mv peaks?

Should have been more then that with just a couple small magnets and a few rpm with 105 turns of wire. Were you reading the output on AC or DC voltage range?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 07:26:41 PM by stephent »

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 09:53:51 PM »
As long as I had the "inside" of the cutout for the stator mold then I just epoxied in a coil into a 4" hole drilled through it. I haven't used it yet but this "test stator" will probably have several different test coils mounted to it as time goes on for testing of many different rotor / magnet configurations. Currently this is sized for 16" rotors and that first coil for 20 x 2  1 x 2 x ? thick neos. Just not enough time right now to get things all together but updates soon to my diary (new 18' 3 phase 16" rotors 20/15)  Dave B.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 09:53:51 PM by Dave B »
DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/

snuffy

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 01:47:57 PM »
I taped my test coil on a block of laminated steel and clamped various pieces of wood near the rotor.  Black tape and clamps you can mock up anything.  Here's pics.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 01:47:57 PM by snuffy »

kevindtimm

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 04:50:02 PM »
My problem with attraction was because of a rigged piece of metal wrapped around the coil in my first attempt with a temporary mount.

I really like the idea of the piece of wood same thickness as the coil, that will work out well.

As far as the 30mv peaks, it was reading + and -, I think the meter is trying to be smart and figure out if it's reading AC or DC (and I know I want to read AC, right?)

« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 04:50:02 PM by kevindtimm »

kevindtimm

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 01:43:12 PM »
Just an addendum (albeit a little slow).

I crafted a holder from wood and stuck the coil between the rotors.  I checked my meter and found that it auto configures for mV DC.  I clicked the select until it read mV AC and gave the rotor a spin.  WooHoo! I got the meter to read up to a .999 volts and then it goes to a 0.F reading.  I can't figure out how to mess with the auto-range to get it out of mV and into Volts, but, as someone pointed out, 30mv sure wasn't enough and certainly more than 1.0 V is definite progress.  Now all I have to do is procure enough 20ga to wind up 9 coils and we're off to the next step.

This is fun!

« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 01:43:12 PM by kevindtimm »