Author Topic: Wind Turbine Workshop at otherpower, part 2  (Read 8081 times)

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Wind Turbine Workshop at otherpower, part 2
« on: September 18, 2008, 09:20:25 PM »

On Thursday we started with towers.  First a 2 hour talk about tilt down towers, how they work, safety etc.  Then we lowered my 20 foot machine to show how it goes, raised it again and started working on the tower.  It was rainy so we spent most of our time here measuring out/cutting/assembling guy wires.  Once that was done we put on rain coats and brought all the parts to the site.  Pictured above we have the gin pole raised, and we're assembling the tower.  In building this tower we first raised 20', adjusted the lower guy wires/got it plumb, and the lowered it -put on the next 20 feet, raised it, adjusted it, lowered it, etc - so that when we finally raised the whole tower it was easy.

Pictured above we're raising 40 feet of the tower.  Again, nice to raise each section and make adjustments to the guy wires as you go - it makes life easy when the tower is finished.

By lunch time (1:00 PM Friday) on the last day we got the full 60 foot tower assembled, raised, and adjusted.

Actually I lied above about lunch time, we skipped lunch and went right to assembling/wiring up the machine on the tower top.  The 6 inch tubing seemed quite rigid with the weight of the wind turbine on the end.

Pictured above is the base for the tower.  We just leveled the ground and stuck it down with stakes.  No concrete in this installation.

The winch worked really well to raise/lower the tower.  We used Ty's 36V cordless drill for the job.

Phil was invaluable during this workshop - very talented with metal work and a good mechanic.  Things started getting a bit breezy so we had to wait for calm moments to balance the bldes

This cat 'Mike' has no problem chasing down, and attacking peoples fairly large dogs.  One lesson and dogs are terrified of this animal.

About 2:00 PM on Friday (the workshop was officially to be over at 5:00) and up she goes!

More of the same.  It's a beautiful place where we put this and the 60' tower pretty much gets him well over 30' above anything nearby (there are 2 slightly offending trees about 40' tall)

Mission accomplished!

A neat picture from the bottom of the tower.  (DanF took almost all the pics on this page)

Shortly after raising the tower the wind came up.  It never got terribly windy but it's pretty clear that the machine works well.  It starts up easily - in light winds I was seeing sustained output between 1000 - 1500 Watts with peaks over 2000.  Not bad for a 12 foot turbine.  It's also dead quiet, you can't hear the blades.

The agreement for this workshop was that Tom (the property owner) would pay for materials, and the work shop attendees would do the labor.  As it turned out, materials for the wind turbine came to about $700.  The Tower cost about $1500 (steel and rigging), stop switch, rectifiers, wire for the line and controller came in around $400.  So total system cost was just pennies under $2600... not bad.

Loads of fun and very successful!  Thanks to everyone who came, thanks to RMSLF for putting on the workshop (they dealt with logistics).  Thanks to Tom for being guinea pig/having an experimental tower/turbine installed on his land.  Thanks to Lynn for all the good food!  Thanks to Hugh Piggott and everyone (well - not quite everyone) here for lots and lots of good ideas.  Im sure we'll do this again someday.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 09:20:25 PM by (unknown) »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

blueyonder

Re: Wind Turbine Workshop at otherpower, part 2
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 04:32:46 PM »
  what a interesting read . that guy tom is one lucky fellow.

i feel i have just been to a tower raising party.

glad every thing went so well for you and the gang.

well i love a story with pics as to how its all done .

only one thing. will the tower get a coat of paint at a later date.

im sure it will  so bet tom is looking for sum good paint now.

and that is one scary cat (Mike)  poor old dogs.

thanks for a great share
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 04:32:46 PM by blueyonder »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 05:26:11 PM »
 Square stator ?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 05:26:11 PM by tecker »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 06:01:04 PM »
its not a square... it's a diamond.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 06:01:04 PM by DanB »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 09:42:48 PM »
Nice project Dan,

What was the resistance per phase for star configuration for this machine.  Putting out 40-100 amps must mean a fairly low resistance was achieved.

Nice workshop

.........oztules

« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 09:42:48 PM by oztules »
Flinders Island Australia

projectpower

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 11:27:11 PM »
nice work guys maybe oneday ill be able to affored to fly from australia and attend a workshop keep up the good work
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 11:27:11 PM by projectpower »

ruddycrazy

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 03:15:41 AM »
Well done Dan it's good to see the workshops are successfull :). Well on the ozzie front I now have 4 people commited and possibly one more tomorrow as I'm sort of holding my own workshop here. A bloke up north has a 500 watt chinese genny where the blades went south after last weekends winds so today I got some vic ash and made a start on the a new blade set for him. Once I get the blades all done I'll start my own post as I'm taking a few pic's along the way.

Cheers Bryan1

« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 03:15:41 AM by ruddycrazy »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 08:02:50 AM »
I figure it must be around .2 ohm (maybe a bit more).  So at 1000W the stator should be about a 400W heater.  At 1500W output it should dissipate between 700 - 1000W I suppose.  I think it's safe for 1500W sustained output at any rate.  Time will tell how well and when it furls.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 08:02:50 AM by DanB »

Boondocker

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 03:13:12 PM »
Nice to see a project in this size range.   Can you supply some details on the rectifier and diversion controller used?

Thanks

« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 03:13:12 PM by Boondocker »

HaroldCR

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 07:16:11 AM »

Very nice job all the way around. Great post.

We used to build telescoping towers for our installs. Tallest install was 4KW at 150', 2 piece tower.

One thing I've not seen addressed on this site is, has anyone build a set of slip rings, to keep the downleads from twisting, as the machine hunts the wind, over a period of time ???

When I build my 4 KW machine, I built a set, using starter brushes and spring clips, from a Chevy starter, actually 2 starters, so you get 3 clips. Worked like a charm.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 07:16:11 AM by HaroldCR »

Mr Putter

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 07:46:35 AM »
Wonderfull job!  I am sure that you have provided a good education for all participants.  What beautiful place to live. Since I helped build your 12 foot turbine in WI, I was wondering where it went to and how it is performing? Say hi to the gang from Mr. Putter.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 07:46:35 AM by Mr Putter »