Author Topic: Monday July 3 (part 1)  (Read 6334 times)

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Monday July 3 (part 1)
« on: July 03, 2006, 01:49:01 PM »

So this is a 'pre-monday' posting, all the stuff we did last Friday.  Ward and Adam and George came up to help me raise the gin pole.  We guyed it only at the end - I thought hard about doing it at the middle (Where the coupler is) but kind of wanted to try without it and see how the coupler/tubing held up.

This is what we came up with to attach guy wires to the ends of the model A differential/drive shafts which are buried as dead men.

We used the bottom 10' of tower as a 'gin pole' to raise the jin pole.  The pole is 37' long so the forces here are pretty extreme raising it this way.  I figure it's a good preliminary test, if this fails then the tower will surely be problematic.

The end of the gin pole will be guyed to the tower in 3 places and we need to attach a turn buckle for each guy wire on the gin pole.

This is the coupler in the middle of the gin pole.  It's squeezed tightly around the tubes with 3/8" grade 5 bolts and tack welded in a few places.

Adam pulling it up with his come-along winch.

Up she goes - George keeps an eye on the tension of the guy wires.  These actually loosen a bit as the gin pole goes up, on the tower they'll tighten as it goes up.

It went up very smoothly and there was never any noticable sag or bend in the tubing - it stayed perfectly straight which is good news so far.  If it goes up, the tower will be twice as high.

I got the cable attached to the winch and about 7 wraps on the spool.

This is where the cable we pull it up with is anchored.  It goes from here, over a pully on the gin pole and then to the winch.  Overall its right about 100' of cable the winch will need to take up in order to raise the tower.

The top of the gin pole.  So... today we'll assemble the rest of the tower, run out the guy wires and see what happens!

« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 01:49:01 PM by (unknown) »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

jmk

Re: Monday July 3 (part 1)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 09:00:29 AM »
 Boy you guys are moving right along! Everything looks strong to me. Looks like the tower and gin pole are bare steel? Is this going to rust or did you paint it? You can always hook a sacrificial anode to it. I am just learning about these anodes. They seem to be a great idea. I just bought five of them for my chain anchers. I am goin to hook one to the bottom of the swimming pool.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 09:00:29 AM by jmk »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 09:06:30 AM »
Itll rust - but hopefully very slowly up here.  We're in a dry place here.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 09:06:30 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

WXYZCIENCE

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 10:47:21 AM »
Very professional work Dan. Towers are a whole different science. They can't be the weak link in the overall project. Thanks for the update. I'm starting on my tower soon, you're hired, when can you start? I have a few old cars and trucks in my yard I want to get rid of :-) Joe.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 10:47:21 AM by WXYZCIENCE »

nothing to lose

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 05:19:51 PM »
Hey DanB,

How about e-mailing me.

I gave up on e-mailing you after no replies to the last 6-8  or so in the last 2 years or so. Maybe a spam filter is killing off my e-mails before you get them, but I e-mailed various ways including to PIE through ebay. I never get any reply to anything!

Well anyway love what your doing and the great posts you guys make, the highlight of my life at times reading them.

Maybe you should set a date for the raising of this genny, I might pay $100 for a weeks camping and tickets for 2 to watch it raise and run a couple days, $120 if a pizza party is included after the raising :)

If I could help in any way be glad to do that too of course!

« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 05:19:51 PM by nothing to lose »

skyking01

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 05:43:18 PM »
Hi DanB,

Very nice tower set-up. It would be great to watch a tower that big with a 20 footer turbine on top flying. Seems like you guys are enjoying what you are doing. Keep up the good work, really enjoy reading your post as usual.

Skyking01

« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 05:43:18 PM by skyking01 »

BT Humble

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 06:39:09 PM »
Say Dan, how big is the pulley on the gin pole, and how is it attached?  It looks to me as though it's the most likely point of failure in the whole system (I'm not saying that's likely, just that it looks to be the part that'll be under the most strain).

BTH

« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 06:39:09 PM by BT Humble »

KEG

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 10:07:55 PM »
Hi Danb Looks great!

Just a question on the eye bolt weldeed to the pipe that the winch cable is tied to will that be the weakest link with strease on it, just looks like trouble from here. if you put a light on it will be able to see it from Here!;-)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 10:07:55 PM by KEG »

Murlin

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 05:54:26 AM »
U da man Dan :)...

Great engineering.....

Looks like it will work like a champ...scary as heck though, lifting 650 lbs on the end of such a long pole....

So this is what I have to look forward to when it comes tower time.....OH Joy :)

Murlin teh quaking in in his boots....err uh Nikies.....

« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 05:54:26 AM by Murlin »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 06:58:46 AM »
I saw if in there several times sounds like  some variables are troubling you . That looks like pipeline pipe and there should be a lot of data out there. So go ahead and voice you reservations . You have to paint her . I don't think it will rust evenly leaving you with no indication where week points are. You can roll it and then finish off with a spray on the places you can't get to.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 06:58:46 AM by tecker »

jmk

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 08:24:26 AM »
 How's part two coming along? I can't wait!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 08:24:26 AM by jmk »