Author Topic: Hydraulic Based Wind Generator  (Read 6399 times)

driezl

Hydraulic Based Wind Generator
« on: July 22, 2006, 01:13:03 PM »
Dear all,

I'm thinking about building a Wind Generator. I have no experience and was looking on the internet for building plans etc.

On http://eduhosting.org/windpics/hyd1.html I found a nice combination of windgenerator for electricity AND hot water. I would like to build something like this. Anyone with experience in Hydraulic Based Wind Generators??

thanks in advance,

Dries

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 01:13:03 PM by (unknown) »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Re: Hydraulic Based Wind Generator
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 07:23:09 AM »
That page is largely 'wrong' - that site is full of misinformation.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 07:23:09 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

driezl

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 07:36:01 AM »
the page looks largely wrong indeed. But the idea is not wrong I think. Or are there problems that can't be solved?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 07:36:01 AM by driezl »

jimjjnn

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 07:37:58 AM »
Who wants gallons of hydraulic fluid 100 feet in the air? The liability would be too much for me. Also need rotating couplings for hyd fluid.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 07:37:58 AM by jimjjnn »

wdyasq

scams
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 07:58:35 AM »
With wind one doesn't have much to work with to begin with. If there are any power robbing devices, like a gear set, it takes that power from the very small supply of energy. This leaves less for use. I have never seen a hydraulic system deliver over 50% of the power it took to drive it except in very large systems. It is mainly used because of the infinate control it gives.

The same images and photos used on that site are used on another site I consider a scam also. I'd guess they have found their spot on how to ripoff the unsuspecting and are doing it well. There are lots of missleading statements on the site if not downright lies.

Ron

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 07:58:35 AM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 07:59:50 AM »
You can just as easily (more easily) heat water with an electric machine.  In their case though - they are suggesting that adding a hydraulic system in between the blades and the generator will improve efficiency and reliability.  I should think the opposite.  In the end - it's still and electric machine and it'll have all the associated losses with the electric system.  I don't see the point with involving hydraulics to add additional losses/cost and reliability issues.  
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 07:59:50 AM by DanB »

Nando

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 08:56:44 AM »
LET'S BE PRACTICAL

Looking on the practical side one can define many errors and, as well, a lot of in-efficiencies.

One should do a lot of calculations to define the system for a practical realization.

If the pump,low RPM -- which have low efficiencies needs to send the pressured oil down to drive, let's say the generator -- then the oil that lost pressure has to be sent up -- the energy needed to send the oil up, not counting the friction losses or the efficiency of the UP pump will be :

PUMP UP ENERGY = height(meter)* Volume( liter/sec)* gravity(9.81) ;

Tower = 60 feet = 18.29 meter, volume = 120 gallon/minute = 2 gallon/sec = 7.56 liter/sec

Watts to push oil up = 18.29 * 7.56 * 9.81 = 1.356 Kilowatts that with the in-efficiencies of the pump, friction may increase the energy going up to 1.900 + Kilowatts.

For this up losses, one could define that the energy that can be harvested may be around 1 / 3 to 1 / 4 of the wind mill capacity.

I could go on, but here there is a basic problem.

Hydraulic systems may be usable, IF ONE ACCEPTS THE LOSSES, to couple the Wind Mill to a generator for LOW RPM blades to High RPM generator UP IN THE NACELLE -- tough, one may end up producing less than 50 % mill-to-generator efficiencies

Nando

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 08:56:44 AM by Nando »

windstuffnow

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 09:28:34 AM »
  Dans right, that site is packed with BS !   I certainly hope most people have the sense to do their homework before buying any kind of system like that.  

That neat little genny that their using can be purchased anywhere for under 200 bux its an old (very old) 36 volt Jack&Heinz starter/generator for aircraft.   These are all surplus motors.  As a matter of fact they pulled the ad from the surplus center for the genny but the price should read 189.00 not 699.00.   http://www.surpluscenter.com    

If you feel the need to buy a manufactured system you should stick with the ones that have been around for years with a good track record, by saving some money going with a cobbled together system you'll pay far more before its done.

Best way, if your DIY inclined, is to build your own, learn and grow... it's far less expensive and the knowledge is priceless.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 09:28:34 AM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

kckclass

Wind Gen Zen website
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 11:16:24 AM »
Dan,

I run the windgenzen.com site - the output (wattage) formulas were submitted by a NASA Phyicist and confirmed by Paul Gipe's own calculations...what is inaccurate with that?

The classes on carving blades and on airfoil design come both from a NASA Physicist, as well as Hugh Piggot's methods and even a section from NASA on airfoils...in fact we have the largest edu site on the subject on Earth. What is inaccurate there?

The gens range from inexpensive ameteks to large 20kw systems and the classes teach folks how to do it from scratch, much as your site does; what is inaccurate there?

Our feedback from students and customers worldwide is sterling - in over 400 blades sold, we have never had a return. Surely were our information found to be inaccurate or misleading, that record would not stand.

Dan, you are a professional running a home brew site, similar in many ways to our site and Hugh Piggot's site. I suggest that before a man with your influence bashes a fellow 'edu' site, you specifically write me, Craig Mead, kckclass at yahoo (put my name in the subject) and tell me what is inaccurate or misleading.

Fair? Professional? Courteous? That is what I ask, along with accurate. Were I to discuss the airfoils you teach folks to carve with the same slanderous tone, your visitors might shy away from that design and come learn what it takes to make a great prop - those NASA/NACA cuts/profiles are, after all, what we teach.

Frankly, anyone who teaches folks how to carve a prop is a good soul in my book and I hope you feel the same about others in this industry, regardless of whether or not your prop carving instructions are sub-par or just dandy, I am glad you are teaching.

And on the subject of using hydraulics for wind gens, that article at our site came after discussions with GE Megawatt tower designers and the topic on their weak link/flaw in those systems led us to explore that option. True, hydraulics have some losses, but not much more than long DC cable runs. True there is some added gear to buy, but when dealing with 300-1000 lb gens, as many of our customers do, the light weight of a hydraulic motor on a tower is preferable to a heavy copper gen up there and maintenance at ground level is certainly preferable to working with tower heads and cranes. Hydraulic gens require virtually no maintenance - no brushes, tough bearings, and the systems were engineered in part, with help from folks who have the experience in the field, from tower designers to structural engineers to physicists, when we write an article and discuss options, we do our homework.

Is it suitable for small gens such as you teach folks to build? Perhaps not, but our customer base is expanding to large systems, from 20kw-100kw and we are projected to be erecting 500kw systems on wind farms in the U.S. and Europe. On any system larger than 5kw, hydraulics make a lot of sense indeed. Study the larger gens and transmissions and gear boxes and you just may come to a similar conclusion.

In the meantime, might I ask that before you go bashing us or any site, you do the homework first. I don't mean to wag a finger at you for too long; most of the work you do is wonderful and greatly appreciated. Anyone helping others unplug is a hero in my book. But Dan Dan Dan...do the homework man before you go bashing anyone in this industry...just a professional, courteous suggestion.

Thank you.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 11:16:24 AM by kckclass »

Nando

Re: Wind Gen Zen website
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 11:52:00 AM »
KCKCLASS

I am sorry to say it :

BUT Internet, as well as, paper can "accept" anything true or not.

Staying with Hydraulic only.

YOU say that you are an Engineer, I am an engineer too, so show, me the efficiencies and/or the benefits, if you want, mathematically, no need to do it with high level, show the pumps efficiencies and the motor efficiencies, the friction losses, either short distance and/or going up / down the tower.

Show the overall wind mill hydraulic generator, also the easiness or benefits of a hydraulic system from the tip of the wind mill to the electrical output of it THEN every body may believe you and your company about your "product".

I could extend my self, though I stop here, waiting for your answer.

Nando

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 11:52:00 AM by Nando »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 01:16:12 PM »
I skimmed it and bailed out when he hit the clinker about saving 60-70% in fuel usage by repowering a UPS van with a diesel and "hydraulics" in place of a transmission as an example of the improved efficiency of hydraulic pump/motor systems.  I bet he's got a bridge for sale in New York, too.  He's arguing for efficiency by reducing losses, and there isn't any 60-70% available to save in the powertrain except by regenerative braking.

Fluid friction burns a LOT of power even in an autotranny's torque converter - which has a wide-open donut design to minimize it.  As a result an autotranny has several times the losses of a mechanical transmission.  Pumping hydraulic fluid through long pipes is worse.  Yet he claims it's more efficient than gears.  Another crock.

Perhaps there's a good argument for a mill design using a hydraulic pump up the tower and a hydraulic motor at ground level.  But after those two bloopers I won't believe the argument if I hear it from this guy.

(I wonder if he has to use snake oil for the working fluid?)

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 01:16:12 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

Tallwind82

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 01:28:31 PM »
Though I tend to agree that the extra losses associated with adding a hydraulic system between the mill and generator would generally make it impractical, I dissagree with your stated reasoning.

One can essentially picture the hydraulic system as a closed loop, with a pump in one end of the loop and a generator in the other end. The gravitational force on the UP side will be exactly equal to the gravitational force on the DOWN side. Thus one does not need to consider the height of the mill to determine the efficiency. The efficiency of the hydraulic system would not change if the loop was horizontal rather than vertical.

There are only three forces that need to be considered into the efficiency of the hydraulic system.

1.  Friction within the hydraulic pump.

(overall efficiency converting mechanical to hydraulic energy)

2.  Friction within the hydraulic generator.

(overall efficiency converting hydraulic energy to mechanical energy)

3.  Friction within the hydraulic lines between pump and generator.

(overall transmission efficiency)

Robert G

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 01:28:31 PM by Tallwind82 »

Nando

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2006, 01:48:47 PM »
Tallwind82:

The point is that the pump is up the tower, attached to the wind mill and the motor is down on the ground connected to the generator, so there is the factor of bringing the oil UP .

Plus your points 1, 2 & 3.

Nando

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 01:48:47 PM by Nando »

willib

• SuperHero Member
Hydraulic blade gauge ?
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2006, 02:18:30 PM »
I wonder if one could use hydraulics to measure the blade performance .

disallowing the losses in the pump , you could put a restrictor valve in the line comming from the pump, and put in a pressure gauge .

just thinking outloud so to speak

calibration would be a problem though
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 02:18:30 PM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

Volvo farmer

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2006, 03:46:32 PM »
Well.... There's actually a UPS truck supposed to hit the streets for testing later this summer. The hydraulic pressure IS built with regenerative braking.

http://www.wksu.org/news/story/19602

While I didn't like what I saw on our friend kckclass's website either, I wouldn't count this hydraulic/regenerative transmission out yet. Seems that someone has actually built it, is driving it and is testing it. What I'd like to see is an actual hydraulic wind generator in the 3KW to 10KW range. Not many of us homebrew guys are interested in 100KW to 500KW machines.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 03:46:32 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

antw

Re: Wind Gen Zen website
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2006, 04:46:15 PM »
Your site claims "Lower tower strain - heavy generators are mounted at ground level for much easier service and replacement".

Surely during a 50 or 60mph wind your unfurled blades will put a lot more strain on the tower compared to a furled set of blades?  Not to mention what two or three sets of unfurled blades would do.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 04:46:15 PM by antw »

Off grid in Tonopah

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2006, 05:19:01 PM »
On the energy use question. Remember what goes up must come down. I deal with many closed loop fluid systems at the power plant I work at. And it is a common misconception on pumping fluids up hill. If the fluid comes back down the hill the net energy use is in theory zero. While in the real world we have to deal with friction (head loss). But all the energy used to pump it up is not lost.

While my guts would tell me that the more energy conversions one goes through the lower the efficiency the process is.  Maybe one could off set this with using a small higher speed PM generator while using large slower blade sets. As the speed change would be easier than a gear set. Maybe!!!

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 05:19:01 PM by Off grid in Tonopah »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2006, 06:37:57 PM »
Doesn't matter.

The point is that he's claiming efficiency better than gears - then using that example, which gets its overall efficiency from doing regenerative braking.  This is unrelated to the efficiency of hydraulic pump/motor combos vs. gears - let alone against the cabling down the tower from the genny, which makes it a snake-oil cheat.

As a separate issue, the ability to do regenerative braking in city traffic could easily provide enough improvement to make up for the inefficiency of pumping hydraulic fluid through the plumbing to/from the wheel motor/pumps (and through whatever mechanism controls the recovered energy), giving you a big gain over a manual or auto tranny without regenerative braking.  But either gear or auto should beat the pants off hydraulic motors on the freeway.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 06:37:57 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

powerbuoy

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2006, 06:49:47 PM »
There was a wind turbine prototype once, ... I believed it failed the expectations.

Nevertheless, it sounds interesting and I believe someone should try to built one just for the experience. As for the website ... surely written by someone 100% pro hydraulics and not very objective.

Powerbuoy

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 06:49:47 PM by powerbuoy »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2006, 07:48:08 PM »
No, he's right, Nando.

The power obtained from the falling oil in the down side of the loop provides exactly the amount of power needed to raise an equal amount of oil in the up side of the loop.

Think of it as a siphon.

Of course the whole thing needs to be pressurized - especially if the tower is over about 40 feet or so, which would create vacuum/vapor bubbles in the absence of pressurization, though shorter towers would be prone to losing their prime or air-locking if the base is at atmospheric pressure.  This might make putting the reservoir on the ground a tad problematic.

My big question:  What the heck sort of seals are they using to prevent or absorb twist in the hydraulic lines?

I'd almost be willing to try one (and risk a hydraulic fluid spill) if they have a good answer to that.  The convenience of having all the genny stuff on the ground and only a tiny hydraulic pump up the tower might be worth the efficiency hit.  (Pressurizing a tank with 60ish PSI air is no big deal).

Take a tour of an auto plant some time and look at the hydraulic presses.  The giant motors drivig the tiny hydraulic pumps are quite impressive.  Couple orders of magnitude difference in mass and volume, easy.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 07:48:08 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

Nando

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2006, 07:54:56 PM »
UNGROUNDED:

NO, the losses are there.

The oil falling will generate extra power but the power to bring the oil up is much more than the one generated going down, just think in the pump u p efficiency and the friction.

This is a college homework and lab experiment.

Nando

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 07:54:56 PM by Nando »

dinges

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2006, 08:00:44 PM »
Assuming the non-compressibility for fluids, the work that needs to be done to pump it up is the same that's required to pump it down. Unless I'm obviously missing something, in that case, please explain.

Pump efficiency and friction have nothing to do with it, in this case.

Could be that I should have paid more attention in mech.engineering school though...

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 08:00:44 PM by dinges »
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)

thefinis

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2006, 10:07:33 PM »
Well this is an area that I have done a lot of research on. It is what I want to do and I have talked to several of the folks here off list about it. Due mostly to there being the same feeling about hydraulics as there is about vawts. In the past hydraulic systems tended to not worry about efficience losses as energy was cheap with power and ease of control being top dog. Energy ain't cheap anymore so large advances have been made in pumps and motors with 90-98% efficiences very common with piston types and 85+ on many other types with self adjusting wear plates. Line losses for hydraulics can be lowered much like electric line losses by using a bigger line. You can go to high voltages electric or pressures hydraulic but these can have their own problems.

Hydraulics is just a form of power transformer/transmission with efficience losses like any other power transformer/transmission. If it is better or worse than others depends on how it is set up and used, how good the parts are, size of lines, etc. The same holds true for whatever type of set up you want to use if you use good parts and set it up right you can keep losses to a minium.

My problem here is putting it up on a tower or running a drive shaft down hence my work with vawts. My feeling is that there is a place for this with grid tie induction generators. It can free up the blades to follow wind speed without confining them to a small rpm range. You would still have to deal with heat build up when you reached max generator output and had to dump excess flow at high wind speeds. It could free flow with just friction losses till cutin speed was reached. I think that some form of braking or furling is needed unless you plan to rebuild on a regular basis as overspeeding is overspeeding load or no load.

I tried to read through the web site but it seems to me to be like stastics, which can be used to prove anything you want as long as you control the input numbers. There is only so much energy in an area of wind and any machine at high wind speeds tends to have extra power/dump load that often is used for heating. All machines have losses and I think that a quick search of this web site will give you plenty to consider.

Finis

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 10:07:33 PM by thefinis »

kckclass

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2006, 10:28:33 PM »
Ok, let's review all yer comments above since I authored that hydraulic page.

First, the best one:

'The only thing 2 engineers will agree upon is that the 3rd one is an idiot.'

And I think that sums it up. I read 'snake oil' in those comments - no, it is a discussion of the benefits of using hydraulics after speaking with a GE megawatt tower engineer. There is nothing in there that says it is the best, super-duper, Neato-Nando's-Happy rig. It simply takes advantage of the durability and light weight of hydraulic motors and pumps and yes, UPS is using a regenerative braking system that is supposed to save them $38 mil a year - so all the name hurling is just a sideshow.

I remember when Paul Gipe found Andy Kruse Air X to produce only 200 watts in protection mode, vs the 400 in his literature and the bashing that ensued at another forum which drove visitors nuts. During that roast I read over and over 'Andy is giving a black eye to the industry' and a litany of other insults. Now old Andy has sold a lot of gear, most of it well liked and almost ALL GENS use a protection mode circuit.

Really guys - what gives the industry a black eye isn't a discussion on the advantages of hydraulics (there are many) compared to gear boxes and it isn't Andy's gens, which have sold more than any other unit on Earth, going into protection mode and it isn't a nut and bolt comparison of hydraulic vs. gear vs. direct drive or AC vs DC gens or even the vertical axis turbines claiming a ka-zillion watts...all that is expected.

What gives the industry a black eye is bashing from one end of the spectrum to the other, just so you can say 'Gee, I am right, they are wrong, I am protecting consumers, they are ripping them off, come to my website, listen to my advice, I am the one who knows...and that 'third engineer' is an idiot, a scammer etc.

Lemme tell ya, our blades sell, they don't come back, zero returns to date and the prices on the gens, some new, some surplus, some refurbished, all described on the site (if you can read), are all set by dealers, not us.

We make blades and in fact, nobody on Earth makes a better airfoil...period...hands down and flat out gorgeous to boot. Any questions there? Find my competition and let me know when they want to run a side by side test.

As for hydraulic rigs compared to gear boxes, you bet - much more reliable and yes, there are some losses that niether gear boxes or direct drive encounter, but all systems have some losses. Use fat pipe/lines, not too many turns and hydraulics can run with a 10-20% loss and that's acceptable, certainly when you consider losses converting DC to AC or cable runs, which are eliminated using hydraulics that can direct drive an AC gen at the right RPM - something direct drive cannot do.

And as for lines and rotation, if you READ the pages on the subject, it states the top gen has a stop point on it's rotation so it never goes all the way around. If you study winds as I do, in most locations, there is a dead spot that rarely if ever gets wind. It usually blasts/storms from one direction and there is a predominant wind from another with occassional winds from other directions and there is almost always one direction the wind rarely blows. This is especially true for canyon and ridge locations.

And Nando, as for calculations, you run em...let me know how they work out...hey post them here. I have seen you bash people in forum after forum and 'give the industry a huge black eye' for all your mouth and honestly, I don't care if you ever set up a rig like that nor do I believe you have either the inclination or perhaps the know how to do it and make it work. I do know you love to tell other folks what they can or can't do or should or shouldn't do and often you are dead wrong.

Frankly, you appear to be a knowledgable jerk from what I have read from you in other forums and apparently are out bashing things you have really never tried here as well. All mouth, a bit of brain, and zero manners. Industry black eye cometh everytime you pipe up.

Fact: the Danes have hydraulic motors that have very low losses. Expensive, yes. But when we are talking 10kw-100kw and up, not really that expensive.

Fact: UPS is using it to store and transmit energy.

Fact: Hydraulics are reliable, much more so than gens and brushes 50-100 feet up or gear boxes.

Fact: I use a direct drive on my 3kw rig.

Fact: If I had a 10-50kw rig here I'd use hydraulics.

The loads on the tower for a single blade at 50mph at the top vs. 2 or 3 blades (did you read the entire post?) on one tower, when only one is active in a storm is well within tolerance - IF - you build the tower right.

Fact: we have links to structural engineers and folks with tower construction experience. One guy at our site built the famous and huge Radio Tower in San Francisco - he does calcs. They charge for advice. Nando - want formulas? Go pay them and they'll give you answers.

Does that page say 'DO IT?' - I believe it says 'Try it.'

I have a guy right now dying to set one up and I have told him LEARN FIRST (after all, we are teachers here at KCK) and learm with a simple direct drive rig. We don't just tell people 'go buy the expensive stuff' in fact, we prefer that they start off with a small 4 ft. cheap blade and gen, learn the circuits, carve their own prop if they can and learn how for a price they CAN afford - about $35 bucks.

So when you wag your fingers (and tongues) calling me, Andy or anyone in this industry 'a scam' really, you may want to get to know the operation first or your just being a jerk. When someone approaches us and wants to build a 12 or 20 or 50 ft diamter rig, we find out if they have the wiring background, the tower experience, wood carving if they want to go that route, and usually suggest they start small, learn at a cheap price and then start buying based on educated decisions.

But hey, I guess to some folks that is a 'snake oil' approach.

To me and the customers and students KCK and the WindGenZen site serve, it is an approach that one customer said 'Change Craig's name to Mr. Support'...posted or 'More support than my therapist'...posted and a few other comments from our customers that indicate we teach, we care, we like to see people learning to unplug and use both data and their imagination to analalyze their home, their usage and figure out exactly what it will take.

All that 'finger and tongue wagging' is a side show - the real show are the people actually DOING IT for next to nothing and folks modifying the systems they learn here or at our site or at Hugh's site to suit their location and skillset. Sriannie in the South American Jungle learned from us - is that a 'scam' too? He is flying 12 foot blades up in the canopy so the miners in the region aren't burning fossil fuels...

Call it a scam - I call it thinking green.

Call it snake oil - I call it wonderful and quite real.

Now - if you want to 'drill me' get lost. Get in line. I have students who like answers that work and ours usually do. Not always, but usually. Nobody is perfect.

Now - if you want to have a constructive, positive, team-like conversation regarding hydraulics vs gear boxes vs direct drive, that would certainly help heal that black eye mouthing off gives the industry and hey, it just might cause someone to unplug a week sooner with a rig they trust, no matter what drive method is employed.

And THAT event, another home unplugging, is what it is all about...anyone disagree with that?

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 10:28:33 PM by kckclass »

WXYZCIENCE

Re: "Viscosity"
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2006, 10:49:44 PM »
The friction of molecules in a flowing liquid. A Hydraulic based windmill.... is very interesting, but stupid! The only advancement in windmill design over the last twenty years is the neo magnet. Modern DIY windmill have decreased in weight while the power output has increased. Add spills of environmental unfriendly hydraulic oil to your problems. Also see what forty below zero does to the oil. Just my experience and two cents talking. Joe
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 10:49:44 PM by WXYZCIENCE »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2006, 10:55:17 PM »
KCK - You have some points.  But I think you're only telling folks what they want to hear.  There are lots of nice (and nasty) issues with windpower  - its not always cheap, its not always easy and there are always problems to be solved.  Disconnecting from the grid for a couple grand isn't reality in my opinion yet your site suggests that it is.  I agree with you about SW windpower and their great effort towards marketing (and it works for them) a very popular machine that simply doesn't do what they suggest it does.  yet by the same token I see pages like this: http://eduhosting.org/wgss/unplug.html

Your offering up for sale a 3hp dc motor with the option of a 7, 10, or 12' diameter blade on it.  You suggest that the 10' machine will produce about 2KW in a 25mph wind while the 'max output' of the generator you say is about 2400 watts @ 1200 rpm.  So if it works - your running TSR of around 14 - 15.  My guess is you've never built one because its a bad match of generator to blade.  That is what I meant by my somewhat blunt comment this morning - which I apologize for, I should never comment before coffee but I strongly disagree with much of the stuff on your site - it's not doing the 'industry' a good thing, it's giving people the wrong idea in my opinion. I think you are trying to sell some unworkable ideas.  That is my honest opinion.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 10:55:17 PM by DanB »

windstuffnow

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2006, 11:12:12 PM »
  I would have to agree with Peter, If you stuck a hose in a drum of water, ran it up a 40 ft pole and back down to a level below the drum, once the hose was filled it would simply drain the drum without any outside power source ( other than the intial start ).  

It's an interesting idea, although, I still think its easier dealing with electrons over fluid.  In any system you have to deal with losses, mechanical and/or otherwise.   If the losses are acceptable and your happy with what your producing then all is fine.   It really only becomes a problem when you see a smaller unit making more power than your large unit, then, the losses are no longer acceptable.  

Can we really find the holy grail of efficiency?  I say build them, lots of them... cover the earth with them... whether their efficient or not we'll still be far better off.  Then we'll have wind wars because your 20ft turbine is blocking wind to my 10ft'er.... see we'll always have something to gripe about !  

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 11:12:12 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

WXYZCIENCE

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2006, 11:15:51 PM »
First law of thermodynamics Peter. The "heated" oil must be pumped against convection. No free lunch today. Joe
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 11:15:51 PM by WXYZCIENCE »

rpcancun

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2006, 11:30:24 PM »
Teacher, Engineer, Software Analyst, Electrician and Robotics since 1983, providing free PCs for kids at Kids Computer Kamp and Eduhosting.org.

Thats all people have to focus on your desperate need to be acknowledged as

someone intelligent, your long ass posts are 90 filler just you standing on

a soapbox spewing diatribe and just trying to generate business here at Dans site!

What a clown! that's unethical,.. but hey u dont care

"Providing free pc's for kids" what a joke using that as a tool!

"I give to kids,...i'm important!" a real giver would not need praise for his kindness,...hence your not real.

And for being a sofware engineer,...man your website is like a cheap tabloid magazine filled with ads make money like this and like that...i burnt my eyes! and as much popup junk like a cheap porn site...(i have ended up on these due to looking for serial numbers,..had to slap that one out of your hand)

If you really where the master of all trades,...how do you have the time to

write such long boring posts...cause ya aint,..your just here fishing for business....

Don't go away mad,.......just go away....

rpcancun

Master Carpenter(Christ taught me), master rigger(i rigged the first theater on broadway), master eletrician (I taught franklin and edison), master electronix guy(i taught morse his code), master inventor (I invented the wheel and velcro)master diver (i taught Jacques...) master mechanic ( i taught ford ) bla bla bls...i wont use the kid thing,...it's just pathetic

and low...

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 11:30:24 PM by rpcancun »

Don Cackleberrycreations

Re: "Viscosity"
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2006, 11:56:27 PM »
  So use sunflower oil, corn, or canola, heck soybeen, flax, or emu.

For piping , intigrate it into the tower construction.

can it work , sure . is it going to be any better ? doubtful .

From a maintainence view point alone your going from one moving part to at least three.

I wouldnt slam the idea out right its still better than a mechanical shaft running down the tower. It would make it possible to provide a constant speed to the genny through a wider range of wind speeds. Using variable displacement pumps and motors.

Now if ya want to impress me  make a system that can pump a magnetic liquid . Of course you'll need to create the flud as well . a pole shift self lubicating fluid would be nice.Something with roughly the same flux as say an N50 and be sure to keep the price down in the $2-4 agallon range.

Then you have a great system  Blades drive the pump pump sends fluid at speed through the loop , the loop surrounded by coils. Being a close system and very little friction should do quite nice at generating .

Just think would work well for hydro as well . Ahh well makes a good story .

Good luck with your system. seriously it has some interesting possiblities .
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 11:56:27 PM by Don Cackleberrycreations »

dinges

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2006, 12:39:09 AM »
Seems like somebody is nitpicking...? :)

1. . is the temperature rise relevant (we're talking about fluids here, not gases)
  2. . how much work is needed to overcome convection at this temp. difference (my guess is: small)
  3. . how does this extra work (of convection) compare to e.g. resistance of the lines?

It depends on the order of magnitude you are talking about. I was thinking/talking about effects that would have some impact on the design, i.e. one would have to account for it. But convection? Am not a hydraulics expert, BTW.

But I used to (ab)use convection, while I was still flying gliders...

« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 12:39:09 AM by dinges »
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)

WXYZCIENCE

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2006, 02:16:00 AM »
You are correct Peter. Nitpicking :-) I for one have everything required to make a system described by, Kckclass. Would I do it? NO.
Joe
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 02:16:00 AM by WXYZCIENCE »

The Crazy Noob

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2006, 03:08:53 AM »
I shure do agree with you on the crappy website there. I assume you have low website-storage and therefore you compress all you images with .jpg format and just about the lowest quality/compression factor. Here's a little tip for you: use .gif: you only have 256 colors, but at least text stays readable and you don't get the nast, ugly and amature-looking artifacts from compression and at the end, the image size might be even lower than it is when using .jpg

... just my little bit of advice ...

« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 03:08:53 AM by The Crazy Noob »