Author Topic: Solar LED lighting system  (Read 2883 times)

fungus

Solar LED lighting system
« on: March 03, 2007, 03:08:42 PM »
I've been slowly putting together this solar LED lighting system. It uses my original 5w panels. I originally had it configured for 6v, with one of the panels, trying to use an old laptop charger as the charge controller; which didnt work.

I've now put both panels into action for 12v using the two 6v 4ah sla's, using the 1.5A charge controller I already had. I've made two lights, one for the attic(right above my room), using two 'modules' of 10 LED's. This was easy to configure for 12v, cutting the wires between them and putting them in series.

The other light is made out of 20 'warm white' LED's; a much more natural colour, built into a burnt out GU10 halogen bulb. I couldnt really glue the pins in the right orientation etc so I just attached a cable. It fits nicely in an ordinary downlight fitting. I've attached a small push switch(the green thing next to it) on the ceiling as well; the ceiling is pretty low so I can reach up to push it.

The attic light has been up for a while but I mounted the roof light yesterday and installed the switch today so its all up and running :-D

The panels have been 'mounted' outside the window. One is attached to the wall with shelf brackets bent to the right angle and the other is currently sitting on the windowsill.

Notice the Poll...

Heres some pics:

Ceiling Light:

v. messy Battery wiring :-)

Panels:

Attic Light:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 03:08:42 PM by (unknown) »

fungus

Re: Solar LED lighting system
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 08:12:08 AM »
Heres some pics of the GU10 light:

« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 08:12:08 AM by fungus »

stop4stuff

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 01:08:39 PM »
nice one fungus, i'm in the middle of doing something similar for my son's room

you missed a choice on your poll...

'All of the above'

paul

« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 01:08:39 PM by stop4stuff »

richhagen

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 01:39:29 PM »
Looks good Angus, I don't know if the color transmits correctly via the picture on my monitor, but the 'warm white' leds look like a good hue.  Most all of the ones I have lack the yellow hues and look cold when used as indoor lighting.  Rich
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 01:39:29 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

fungus

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 02:09:31 PM »
You'r right rich; it is a much more natural incandescent colour. These particular ones were a free sample from a company in china; I may be importing 1000 or so. Heres a little pic showing one side by side with an 'ordinary' LED(slightly distorted but shows the difference):

« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 02:09:31 PM by fungus »

zubbly

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 02:44:00 PM »
hey Fungus!

thats really cool!  just enough lite to see what you are doin in the dark  ;)

great job!

zubbly

« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 02:44:00 PM by zubbly »

la7qz

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 09:18:12 PM »
Hi

A difficult one to answer this because I am interested in solar, wind and hydro (the latter in the form of a towed generator on my boat.)

At the moment I am using solar power, building wind power and planning hydro power. Which am I most interested in right now? Well, I suppose it would be my current project. The solar stuff is working, so I don't need to show much interest in it.

Owen

Yacht Magic

Falmouth Harbour, Antigua

« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 09:18:12 PM by la7qz »