Author Topic: Coil shape?  (Read 2836 times)

wdesilvey

Coil shape?
« on: June 30, 2008, 12:55:40 PM »
This has likely been asked a few x's before, but at the risk of being redundant, here goes!!

1. Would the output be better if coils were made to conform to the shapes of the magnets? IE: Winding them in such a manner as to enclose the mags as they passed by/thru them??
  2. since copper has the same properties.tendencies regardless of physical form, could one use cocentric coils of say thin sliced copper pipe for a coil??

Thanks again!

Bill D.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 12:55:40 PM by (unknown) »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
Re: Coil shape?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 10:44:28 AM »

1. yes
  2. no

« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 10:44:28 AM by electrondady1 »

ZooT

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 01:28:22 AM »
I jusr lay a magnet on a piece of suitable thickness wood and trace around it and then cut it out.....and that's the core for my rustic coil winding device....
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 01:28:22 AM by ZooT »

Capt Slog

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 04:41:53 AM »

1.  Its usual to make the coil (centre) as close to the sizw or shape of the magnet as practical, but don't make it a shape that uses more wire than it has to because this just addd resistance for little payback.
  2.  I did wonder if it was possible to use thin copper strip wound into a coil when I first started looking at coils, but getting out of pipe sounds a ball-ache.  The problem would come in insulating underlying turns from those on top.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 04:41:53 AM by Capt Slog »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 01:02:19 PM »
You might try using copper foil, but finding it enamel-cooated would be expensive, and wrapping in a layer of ?paper/fiberglass/insulator? would be tricky.  Not really easy, either way.

Even people who know what they're doing aren't keen on doing this, so that should give you a hint.

If you're looking for maximum space filling in the coil, and can stomach the cost, then you can get square wire.  It can be obtained with enamel coating.

Here's a supplier (there are others out there):

Swiger Coil

I think it was forum member BrianC4 that used their wire on his project.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 01:02:19 PM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca