Author Topic: how do I know if a DC motor is right for wind power?  (Read 4896 times)

flory7

how do I know if a DC motor is right for wind power?
« on: February 09, 2008, 02:17:39 AM »
I am working on getting the parts together to build my first small perminat magnet motor wind generator. I will be following the steps at www.thekevdog.com/projects/wind_generator   His looks easy to build. He used a Ametek motor off an old treadmill. Well Ametek is about a half hour away from my house and they do not make that motor any more. So What am I looking for (specks) in a dc motor. I am trying to make this for as little money as posible and also using as much recycled products. My tower is a 50' tubular TV antenna tower and i will be using PVC pipe to make my props. I install septic systems so I have lots of scrap pipe. Please let me know what I am looking for in a DC motor.

Adam

No need to double post identical questions in different sections. Your duplicate was removed

« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 02:17:39 AM by (unknown) »

jonas302

« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 09:02:23 PM by jonas302 »

kurt

• website
Re: how do I know if a DC motor is right for wind
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 09:12:12 PM »
for 12v something in the neighborhood of 90v 1750 rpm 1/3 hp would make a nice 4-5' windmill that would probably match your tv tower unless it is a realy robust tv tower. i know a guy who built one with those specs he sees 100w out it in high winds but it is only on a 20' tower.....

the amatek tape drive motors that everybody talks about are not made anymore they are surplus they would also be suitable for a 4' prop. you can buy them on ebay or from some surplus distributers somebody had a link to some 38v ones at a good price couple weeks ago you could probably hunt that down with a google search the board search.  

« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 09:12:12 PM by kurt »

flory7

Re: how do I know if a DC motor is right
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 06:48:46 AM »
Thanks IRC, That is what I was looking for. I was looking at about a 6-7 foot prop and my tower shoud be very strong. It is a three sided tubular tv antenna and I will have it half conected to my pole barn and half supported with guy wires. I ntent to be able to clime the tower for adjustments.

So Now I just have to find the motor. I think I will try craigslist. If anyone else have input on what I could use for motor (i.e. what specs I should look for on the side of the motor) That would be great

Adam

« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 06:48:46 AM by flory7 »

flory7

Re:DC motor is right for wind power?
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 06:56:38 AM »
Thanks Jonas302,

That motor looks perfect, but I am as cheep as can be and I will still try to find a freebee or somthing under $10. If I fail I think that I will buy that one you sugested. I looks like they have alot of them.

Thanks again

« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 06:56:38 AM by flory7 »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: how do I know if a DC motor is right for ?
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 06:58:36 AM »
You near Kent or Y-town?

G-
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 06:58:36 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

flory7

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 07:38:38 AM »
I live in Canal Fulton, south of Akron and west of Canton. What is your location?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 07:38:38 AM by flory7 »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 08:54:58 AM »
I think 6ft is too big and ambitious for either pvc blades or high voltage dc motors adapted for a use they were not designed for.

They are fine for starter projects and seem to work well up to about 4ft.

You may be able to extend pvc up to 6ft but you will need a substantial motor, probably a high grade servo motor or something with decent bearings a decent shaft and the ability to cut in at about 100 rpm. Such motors exist and weigh a ton and cost the earth. If you find one surplus at near zero cost you will be lucky.

Anything beyond 5 ft is starting to come into a different field, needing decent blades and preferably a permanent magnet alternator matched to it. You seem to have been lucky with the tower and it may be worth building something to do it justice eventually. For now for experience if you want to keep simple and cheap I would follow the others advice and keep to 4ft.

Flux

« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 08:54:58 AM by Flux »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 10:49:48 AM »
Yankee Peddler Festival!

I'm north of Y-town.

I'll look through my piles of stuff for something I can live without.  No time today.

(Wife works at KSU main. Save shipping costs?)

G-
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 10:49:48 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

flory7

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 12:17:18 PM »
When you say 4 ft do you mean total or each prop? I think I found 2 small 23v 340 rpm motors and was thinking two small 2' total props. The towers are a dime a dozen arond here.

Adam

« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 12:17:18 PM by flory7 »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 01:13:23 PM »
Adam;

It may not be obvious, but we generally state turbine prop size as diameter.

TomW

« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 01:13:23 PM by TomW »