Author Topic: Making LED Nightlights from WallWarts  (Read 5796 times)

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
Making LED Nightlights from WallWarts
« on: February 05, 2010, 11:17:50 AM »
I have always had Nightlights in my 2 bathrooms since they don't have windows. I've been using the standard Christmas Light style of Nightlight until last month. I was changing the burned out Christmas lights about 3 times a year, and they are fairly expensive so I decided to go to LEDs. I looked at several ways of powering the LEDs straight off the 120vac line and didn't really like the methods very much and decided to make the nightlights out of Wallwart transformers. I have a huge box full of these, a wide variety.

I'm using 2 tricks with the LEDs, flatten or cut the tops off so they throw a wider beam, then use White & Red LEDs together to improve the light color. I like twice as many White as Red and love the pleasant color output. There are red LEDs in the picture but the whites overpower them.

I tried to select small sized wallwarts for use as a nightlight, and 12vdc power supplies so I could string several LEDs together. I then measured the actual voltage that it put out since wallwart voltages vary wildly from their labeled ratings. I then went to this LED Array Wizard page and calculated my dropping resister sizes.

http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

Don't overpower your LEDs on a nightlight or they won't last a long time.

It was a little difficult to tack all the small bits together with a soldering iron. I soldered 3 or 4 LEDs into a string with a 1/4watt dropping resister. Using 3 to 5 LED strings on each nightlight. I cut the wire cumming out of the wallwart to about 1.5 inches and stripped the wires down to within a 1/4 inch of the strain relief then Tinned each wire thoroughly. The wires can then be bent into a "U" shape that you can solder the premade LED strings between. I got some black paint and painted any exposed wiring so you can't see it against the black plastic housing. The LED array can be bent around a little bit so you can aim them in most any direction.

If anyone messes around with a Wallwart be careful not to short the output wires, there can often be an internal fuse that once blown, it is almost impossible to change.

I used my Kill-a-Watt meter and measured my Christmas lights at 4 watts. The LED nightlights showed 1 watt. The unloaded wallwarts measured Zero watt. The best looking one is 12 white and 6 red. Plus the best part, I never need to change the bulb anymore.

W o o f -={(

« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 11:17:50 AM by (unknown) »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: Making LED Nightlights from WallWarts
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 02:20:58 PM »
Hey WOOF!!

Great idea!! I've dozen of old cell phone charger laying around from passed on phones.

Everything from very first Motos that have 9volt output to charge NiCds to super-duper smallish one that put out 3.3Vdc.

I did cheat early on tho' I bought a LED bulb for the nightlight from Walgreens cute little thing nice bright light in middle of the night, even has lifetime warranty.

Thanks for sharing , those are pretty cool.

The 12 LED unit does look pretty bright.

Cheers;

Bruce S

« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 02:20:58 PM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

carbethhutter

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 02:31:14 PM »
Laughs. Mibbye to much time on your hands.Fred
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 02:31:14 PM by carbethhutter »

boB

• boB
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 06:40:11 PM »

Just make sure that the idle power on that wall wart itself isn't more than the entire, older nightlight.

boB

« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 06:40:11 PM by boB »

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 07:14:30 AM »
Neat idea Woof... thanks for showing them.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 07:14:30 AM by zap »

richhagen

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 05:29:17 PM »
I was thinking about the wall warts efficiency too, as I know my old transformer based wall warts get warm even when idle and can gang up to make pretty significant ghost loads.  I suspect that newer switching power supplies such as a more recent cell phone charger might work reasonably efficiently.

With all of the lights Woof has been building, his house must be getting pretty bright now!  

Rich

« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 05:29:17 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

Opera House

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 02:41:28 AM »
I'm liking those 21 LED G4 circuit boards.  At less than $3 total shipped from China they save a lot of work.  Jumper out the full wave bridge and they are ideal for 12V battery.  Got a couple of Samsung 5V chargers. Amazing that you can get .7A that you can hide in your hand and only waste a watt.  Easily runs a number 1W LED and can honestly answer when my wife says......Is that safe?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 02:41:28 AM by Opera House »

Junkie

• Scraptopower.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 02:53:43 PM »
Neat idea! I'd add two ni-cads and a little circuit that turns them on when the power goes out. Cheap backup lights.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 02:53:43 PM by Junkie »