Author Topic: My 12vdc LED Lights  (Read 14227 times)

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
My 12vdc LED Lights
« on: December 27, 2009, 01:10:18 AM »
 I have been working on more lighting to use with my 12vdc system. up until now I have been using the 12v lights that came with my 2 sets of Harbor Freight solar panels. They lasted more than a year used almost every night. The tubes started turning black, but I think they quit because of a burned up resistor on the circuit board.

In the beginning I started replacing the HF lights with the 12 volt DC lights that you can get at WalMart-HomeDepot-Lowes for about $10. These lights can be found near the area with the fluorescent replacement bulbs and come in 6v and 12v versions. They run on batteries, the package says that it has a jack for external power but I couldn't find one. So I hacksawed an opening in the bottom of the fixture and soldered wires directly to the battery terminals. They put out about the same color and brightness as a HF bulb plus you can replace the bulb with a warmer color for about $7.

The old burned out HF bulbs were not really repairable but I realized that they make a perfect fixture to build LED lights out of. I also realized that I had all the parts onhand to build 2 of them rightaway. They are made with white 3v LEDs in strings of 3 with a 1 ohm leveling resister on each string. I am also using red LEDs in these lights to keep the light from looking too blue, these strings are 4 red 2v LEDs with a 2 ohm leveling resister. All the strings are paralleled and fed through an LM317t being used as a current regulator as described in this link...

http://www.reuk.co.uk/Using-The-LM317T-With-LED-Lighting.htm

The first LED light I made is 9 strings of white and 2 strings of red LEDs. This makes 27 white and 8 red. I have the Current regulator set to 220 milliamps cause, 11 LED strings times 20 milliamps equals 220ma. All the white LEDs are mounted on perfboard with hole-spacing perfect for an LED. The red LEDs have the clear round caps cut off to make them a wider beam and they are taped with red tape to the exterior if the fixture. This light works great and the LM317t with small heatsink was hardly getting warm to the touch. I tried to bend the LEDs outward on the perfboard to help to spread out the light but I had mounted the LEDs to close and I wasn't very successful.

After experimenting on the first light I made the second light with as many LEDs that would fit. It is 13 strings of white and 2 strings of red LEDs. This makes 39 white and 8 red. The current regulator is set to 300 milliamps since, 15 LED strings times 20 milliamps equals 300ma. The red LEDs are mounted on the perfboard along with the white ones. This light works a bit hotter though. With the higher current, the LM317t with small heatsink was running rather warm, almost hot to the touch. I was careful not to mount the LEDs down so close this time and was able to bend the LEDs outward so the light would cover a wider area.

The clear covers for the HF lights have some diffusion built into them but not enough at the bottom to spread out the beams coming from the LEDs. I cut out some circles from some clear perforated Freezer Bags and put them into the bottom of the covers and it smoothed out the beams really well. I also drilled some holes in the clear covers to help them get some air for cooling. Here is a picture of my computer area lit up by my LED lights. There is a light from a scanner that is out-of-sight at the top of the computer desk under the lip. You can see what nice color I get with some red LEDs in the mix.

These lights were easy to make but tedious and time consuming. The bigger light has 47 LEDs and 15 resisters, each with 2 leads, so there are over 100 solder connections on he backside of that perfboard. It took about 5 hours to build each light. I am very happy with the results, they will start at 11.8 volts and should be able to work all the way up to 40 volts. The addition of the red LEDs really improves the quality of the color and it's not a harsh blue anymore. one of them runs at about 3 watts and the other one runs at 4 watts.

W o o f -={(

« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 01:10:18 AM by (unknown) »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: My 12vdc LED Lights
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 01:34:51 AM »
Ah, very nice!

I'm afraid that I've just been lazy and bought my large LED lights, and they use the larger chips so that there's less than 1 LED per W on average, saving the manufacturers some soldering too!

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 01:34:51 AM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

ruddycrazy

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 01:37:02 AM »
Tich Tich Woof with your next one try Commanda's led class ciruit and you'll find no real heating in the fets. One must say although you've done a great job with them.

Cheers Bryan

« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 01:37:02 AM by ruddycrazy »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 03:20:47 AM »
Good stuff.

I like the look of the light output.

I just finished building a flounder light (matrix of about 35 10mm leds built into an epoxied waterproof base for under water use.....) runs off an 18v drill battery, and draws 100ma..... but your right...lots of soldering.

Odd thing is the flounder and flatheads don't scatter like they do with halogen light????? can't work that out.

..........oztules

« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 03:20:47 AM by oztules »
Flinders Island Australia

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 08:41:15 AM »
Nice work woof! I like the reuse of the HF lights and I'm a little amazed they lasted as long as they did as florescent.

I'll bet Glen is green with envy.  :)=)

« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 08:41:15 AM by zap »

richhagen

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 11:02:43 AM »
Cool Woof.  They will probably last a very, very long time.   I wonder about the efficiency of the smaller LED's, I would guess that you get a bit more lumens per watt from the fluorescent overall, but the LED's are directional, so for the task light they should be pretty good, and they should age more gracefully.  Rich
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 11:02:43 AM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 11:29:15 AM »
Nice work Woof. I wondered about heat and efficiency. Some retail Cree's come with fans.

Heat equals wasted energy, something you can't afford off-grid.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 11:29:15 AM by dnix71 »

Basil

• 3 rd shift made me this way.
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 03:43:41 PM »
Hay Woof

I had a HF ligt to go out and just for fun I took the bulb from a 120 volt cf light and replaced the bulb only. The 120 volt had 4 wires. Two at each end. I twisted them togather and mad two wires like the HF bulbs. It is at the camper and works great.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 03:43:41 PM by Basil »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 11:41:28 PM »
I whole heartedly agree Bryan, Commanda's circuit (2 resistors, 1 tranny and 1 fet), is exceptional in it's operation.

Thanks Commanda for your led classes

.........oztules

« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 11:41:28 PM by oztules »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 04:04:52 AM »
 I looked at Commanda's LED circuit, but it takes 4 components per string of LEDs. The largest light I built has 15 strings so the parts count would get fairly high and then it would not fit into the Harbor Freight light fixture.

Here is Commanda's "LED Master Class".

http://www.fieldlines.com/?op=search&offset=0&old_count=30&type=story&section=&s
tring=master+class&search=Search&phrase=true&count=30&orderby=date

« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 04:04:52 AM by wooferhound »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 04:16:52 AM »
Yes ,  Fluorescent lights are still more efficient than LEDs. I could have bought more fluorescent lights from WalMart but the color off those lights isn't so great. Building with LEDs I knew that I could control the color better and they will last longer.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 04:16:52 AM by wooferhound »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 04:26:07 AM »
 I think I saw where you mentioned about rebuilding the HF lights in another post and I had planned to try to rebuild my HF lights the same way as I already have a 5w plugin replacement tube to play with. But after opening up my HF lights I saw multiple burned components (resistors,transformers,diodes,circuit traces) that I decided to just start over with the $7 worth of LEDs that I got off FeeBay.

Not sure if you know it Basil, but I ended up with a 12v 8D battery that you gave away over a year ago. It is my battery bank and I've had it hooked up since February '09.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 04:26:07 AM by wooferhound »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 04:44:49 AM »
I've always been scared of using LEDs that are Rated in Watts. Seems to me that an LED that big would not have a long life or be as efficient.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 04:44:49 AM by wooferhound »

Tritium

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 07:29:39 AM »
Wolf,

Go to Cree's site and the Lumileds site and read some datasheets on the newer high power leds. They are very efficient. Some exceed fluorescent now.

Would you like a few to play with? I still have some left over from group buys at candle power forums but the current generation is even more efficient.

Thurmond

« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 07:29:39 AM by Tritium »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 09:54:01 AM »
Hey, I'd love a couple to play with if you'll let me send you some money, and after W has had whatever he wants.  What sort of Volts/Watts are they?

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 09:54:01 AM by DamonHD »

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Tritium

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2009, 10:39:01 AM »
Damon,

You have e-mail.

Thurmond

« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 10:39:01 AM by Tritium »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2009, 01:32:34 PM »
Ta!

Damon

« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 01:32:34 PM by DamonHD »

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2009, 05:19:50 PM »
Woof,

I use it on say 7 strings at a time.... but use it not quite as Commanda wanted.

I wire up the strings for about the expected voltage with the usual dropping resistor you would use normally... but then use the commanda circuit in series with say 7 strings, and set if for the maximum current i would want them to see as a group. This way, if the voltage rises, then the load resistors don't see it.

That flounder light I mention below, has resistors to run it naturally at 18v for each string..... but if the bloke I built it for charges the battery up hard, it could see 22v.... which means to design it safely, I would have to derate the thing at 18v.... just to protect from high SOC conditions.

Using commandas circuit, I can limit the current to say 140ma per 7 strings (nominally 20ma per string), and overvoltage up to 40v or more makes no difference. By using the resistor value I would have used without the limiter, it allows load levelling between strings anyway.

So if you want to push them hard over a SOC type of range, it is very very good as the voltage can go all over the place, but the current stays the same for the bundle..... I embed them into the epoxy with the leds.... can't post a pic... dammit.

..........oztules

« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 05:19:50 PM by oztules »

hysteresis

• Ether Acceleration
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 07:30:20 PM »
Jolly good Woof on the color coordination. Have you considered putting yellow and green into the mix for more wider spectrum balance also?

I've run these HF CF bulbs in a conversion van for 4 yrs. with 2 deep cycle marine and A 1000A cranking battery in parallel without the internal HF reg. The E never exceeds 14.5V even in the strongest sun on three panels.

These LED units would be ideal in motor homes instead of the CF in the shells.

hys

« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 07:30:20 PM by hysteresis »
======hys======

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2022, 10:29:33 PM »
Damon,<p>
You have e-mail.<p>
Thurmond

Just to note, c/o of Thurmond, I've been over a decade with a night-light based on an LED that he sent me!

https://www.earth.org.uk/LED-homebrew-nightlight.html

This was originally put together to help our daughter find her way to our toilet.  Soon she will be an adult old enough to leave home entirely...

Rgds

Damon

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2022, 12:39:49 PM »
I have played with a few of these for lighting https://www.mpja.com/1000-Lumen-10-Watt-Super-Bright-Cool-White-LED-Module/productinfo/31325+OP/

They MUST be heatsinked and a fan helps... I use old CPU heatsinks for this. BRIGHT, I run them at lower current than specified to dim them. MUST use a current limiting power source! No problem lighting up a room!