Author Topic: New 12 Volt Power Distribution Panel  (Read 9349 times)

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
New 12 Volt Power Distribution Panel
« on: March 18, 2009, 11:29:10 PM »
Once again I have been mildly busy improving my Solar Power system.

I had increased the wire size running 110 feet (33m) from the Battery to my computer Desk which is where I am using all of my power at. Now there are Four 12 gauge wires making this run, 2 of them are Negative and the other 2 are Positive. I am told that two 12 gauge wires equals one 9 gauge wire, so lets call this wire a single pair of 9 gauge wires and they are fused for a max of 20 amps even though the wiring should be good for 40 amps. This is a 12 vdc system without an inverter.

I recently installed more solar panels so I needed to expand so I could use the extra power. Until now I had been distributing the power using this Switch Box with a terminal strip output, but this isn't enough anymore.

So I built this Power Distribution Box to give me multiple fused outputs to my different loads. This is mounted under my desk below the monitor. You can see the four 12 gauge wires coming from the battery into a terminal strip on the lower Righthand side. These 4 wires are then paralleled across two 24000mfd 50v capacitors. After that the Positive wires go through a 4 position Fuse Block and then I have provided 4 fused outputs on a Terminal strip. This box has made it incredibly easy to attach or try different loads on the 12vdc outputs, not to mention having the safety of the fuses now.

The Capacitors are to prevent power surges on the long 12 volt line to the battery by providing a little local power storage at the point where I'm using the power at. When I originally installed My Solar Power I had 2 lights, a fan and my DSL modem hooked up to the 4 original power switches.

I discovered that If the modem was on, and then I switched anything else on, the modem would Reset itself. So I installed a 20000mfd capacitor in the switchbox and the Reset problem disappeared. When I built this power box I increased the value to 48000mfd since I had the capacitors and I'm adding more loads.

The original 4-way switchbox under the desk is still being used and is hooked to one of the fused outputs. Another fused output goes to a second switchbox I made just for the room,lighting. I mounted this box out in the open on a corner of my desk so other people could easily see and use them. The lights I'm using are from the Harbor Freight solar kit and the ones you can get at Home Depot or Wal-Mart that run on 12vdc.

Also inside of this switchbox is a 9 Volt Regulator screwed to the box itself for heatsinking. This regulator is wired to the Charging Station for the Cordless phone in the picture. I also have some 9vdc computer speakers that I'm thinking about hooking this up to.

I hooked this plug strip to another Fused output. I bought this on eBay from HongKong for $6.oo shipped. It has 3 Car Cigarette Lighter Sockets and a 5vdc USB Charger output on it. This is extremely versatile allowing me to power up many items already made to work in cars. Right now I have a CB Radio plugged into a 12 volt socket and my cell phone is being charged off of the USB outlet.

Here is the DSL Modem that I was talking about earlier sitting on top of a 12vdc TV/Radio. On the Righthand side is a (new style) Harbor Freight Charge Controller. This is Not hooked up for battery charging, it's only hooked up as another power distribution box with a voltage readout on it. This box gives me another Cigarette Lighter socket and 2 straight 12 volt outputs. It also has regulated outputs at 9 volts, 6 volts, 3 volts and provides me another 5 volt USB charging output as well. I also have a DTV Converter box working now and an Analog Meter for battery voltage, these are not pictured

The picture is a bit Washed Out from the camera flash. The modem lights were on too.

Here is the rest of My Solar Power system

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2009/1/7/222041/6802

As you can see I am having Too Much Fun . . .

but now I need some more Solar Panels

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 11:29:10 PM by (unknown) »

GeeMac

Re: New 12 Volt Power Distribution Panel
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 07:34:57 PM »
Holy Moly! That's a great little set up. Do you run your computer on it too? If you do, did you convert it to run on 12 volts? Do the panels keep up with the computer's power draw?  Anyway, you're having fun just like I have fun doing this stuff.  Heck - today I made my own laundry soap just to piss off the 'Tide' people :))
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 07:34:57 PM by GeeMac »

FishbonzWV

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 07:37:37 PM »
Nice job Woof,

Looks like you're using every drop of power you get.

Is all this from HF panels?

Mine suck. One BP 50w panel puts out more than 7 of the HF style panels.

Keep up the good work.

Bonz

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 07:37:37 PM by FishbonzWV »
"Put your brain in gear before you put your mouth in motion"
H.F.Fisher 1925-2007

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 08:36:28 PM »
Neat, Woof. The gov't just put some more money in the dtv converter coupon program, so you can actually get your $40 back.

Is there some way to hook up the dtv converter to an LCD display with built-in speakers? That would probably use less power than the old tube tv and would have color, too.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 08:36:28 PM by dnix71 »

Opera House

12 Volt TV converter box
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 02:32:03 PM »
I recommend the ARTEC T3AP.  Menus seem better.  This one has external 1V switching wall wart power.  I like it tons better than the Magnavox I also have which can't control volume.  Suggest buy online from the recommended sources from gov list.  I got mine free shipping at no cost, Just supply card number.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 02:32:03 PM by Opera House »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 06:03:30 PM »
No I don't run the computer on it. I have a 2ghz tower computer with a 20 inch CRT monitor so it's quite a hunk of power to be thinking about adding it onto the solar. I really would like to get a Laptop that would run on 12 volts of power for my main computer. I have enough stuff running right now to go about 4 days without Sun so I really don't want to add more loads right now.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 06:03:30 PM by wooferhound »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 06:20:19 PM »
Yes I am running all of this stuff from 6 Harbor Freight Solar Panels, plus one 1.5 watt solar trickle charger in there just because I have it. Your right the HF panels are really just toy starter panels, I would really like to get some real solar panels like the BP 50w you are talking about.

I have had a wind generator built for 3 years and I am almost embarrassed when I mention it because it's still not up in the air yet. I have almost all of the parts to put it 25 feet up. I am so broke right now but I think I could get it put up with 2 days of work and about $40.oo worth of parts. It wouldn't really add a lot more power though because I live inside of a large old neighborhood with taller trees.

But ,  I built it and I'm gonna put it up anyway

Doggonnit !!

« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 06:20:19 PM by wooferhound »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 06:31:26 PM »
dnix71

My DTV Converter is an Artec T3AP Pro just like Opera House suggests below. I love this converter box and highly recommend it. It has an RF output on channel 3/4 and also has an Audio/Video phono plug output that I could feed to an LCD monitor real easy. I was looking for some monitors to use for this purpose when I discovered In-Dash TVs with DVD players and radios and my attention got diverted.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 06:31:26 PM by wooferhound »