Author Topic: Audi induction turbo diesel wvo generator  (Read 7260 times)

Hilltopgrange

Audi induction turbo diesel wvo generator
« on: September 18, 2007, 02:03:54 AM »
Audi 80 1.9 TDI diesel / WVO / WMO Generator C.H.P

Been a while since I posted to my diary so it over due an update.

My last post was about my intention to build a diesel generator with a 5kw Chinese alternator but since then have acquired a 15kw 3 phase motor and buckets full of motor run caps. This entry will cover the initial tests on the motor and  mechanical build to date there will be a further update on output etc.

Aims

1. To build a multi-fuel generator as a back up charging source for my two battery banks
  2. To recover heat from the engines cooling system as hot water directly into the central heating for the house
  3. To add an additional 12v alternator to the engine to charge an extra Battery bank to run the oil fired boiler
  4. Last but most importantly I want to achieve this for as little cash outlay as possible..well that's what I told the wife!

I have an unlimited supply of free fuel mostly in the form of waste veg oil but also waste motor oil and lard. I currently heat my home and workshop on a combination of these fuels almost for free I say almost as there is a 600w heating element in the burner. I have also converted my car to run on WVO I drive a Audi 80 1.9 TDi and it runs lovely on it. A good friend recently retired his old Audi 80 to my care as it had a noisy gearbox. The car is identical to my own just a bit longer in the tooth but runs a treat. His last words where to do as I pleased with it! red flag and bull come to mind! So I guess that's going to be my engine for the gen sorted.

The motor I have is a 15kw beast that weighs in at 150 kgs and will be excited with motor run caps. I got the details on how to do this from a fantastic little book Motors as Generators for micro-hydro power by Nigel Smith it gives details on how to work out the caps and by luck it gives an example using a 15kw motor

The first step was to test the motor with the caps but my lathe was not up to the job so I welded up a temporary frame on the Audi with a drive belt from the crank shaft pulley

The test went well with 400v at just over 1500 rpm and 50hz, more on this later!

The engine removal was easy enough but this wasn't going to be a simple build and a number of problems would have to be solved. These engines are drive by wire ie the injector pump is controlled via an ECU (brain) and a bucket full of sensors there is no throttle cable it is all electronic. I should mention I am a diesel fitter to trade but it was in days of a couple of wires and a pull stop industrial engines. My solution to the problem was simple in principle but tricky in practice. I completely removed the original wiring loom ECU and dash binnacle from the car, this took longer than it did to lift the donkey out!

Next job was to build a new chassis to hold the engine and to figure a method of coupling to the motor. The chassis was built from 2x2 box section with 2x2 x1/4 angle. I took pics but lost them! The original gearbox had 2 shattered gears but the spigot shaft was fine so rather than mess about trying to couple to the flywheel I just refitted the the clutch and removed all the shafts from the gearbox. The spigot shaft runs on 2 wet bearings so I replaced them with sealed units. With the end case removed from the gearbox it exposed the end of the spigot shaft to which I fitted a 30 hp cush drive coupling to the motor this would allow a little bit of movment. The shaft is keyed and pinned. The next pic shows the coupling but I have moved the motor side of the coupling back for clarity

So with the engine and motor now mounted and connected roughly it was time to start it! boy was I optimistic when I turned the key everything worked on the dash and she turned over the best and was even injecting but would it go not a bit of it. The following two days then involved a lot of cursing a lot of beer and an even bigger supply of tobacco. To cut a long story short I eventually found the fault, some idiot (me) had connected two wires ass about face and as soon as I swapped them she burst into life

More beer was then required to celebrate!

Now to make some sense of the wiring by giving it a severe haircut, all unused circuits where removed, cables rerouted ABS system and intercooler where removed.

The ECU, fuse box , dash, key switch filters etc etc where then mounted to the frame of the chassis, at last it is starting to look like a machine rather than just a mess of wires! The radiator has been fitted; I will be fitting valves to allow connection to the heating system of the house and a duct from the radiator to my workshop for hot air heating. The unit will be placed in a shed adjoining the workshop but this means the unit has to go through a 43 inch wide doorway, but it should be ok with the air filter removed the widest point is 39inches.

Marmalade is checking for leaks!

That's as far as I have got so far, I hope to get started on the generator part tomorrow by fitting the caps, build a control panel and give the chassis a coat of paint and try to make it pretty.

The engine is way too powerful as it is 90 BHP but on the plus side my fuel is free and at 1500 rpm it is very quiet, I also intend to fit a compressor and hydraulic pump for workshop use.The audi engine should be very reliable,  time will tell.

One quick question for those in the know! do the cables to the caps carry full load current? Do they need to be as heavy as the output cables?

Finally for now total cost to date including caps and steel and mig wire discs etc £35 ($70) everything else was at hand or borrowed from other projects!

My next entry will be about the generator with all the details of the caps etc

As usual any and all comments are welcome

IF this post is to long or to many pics go ahead and pull it and I will split it in two and repost!

« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 02:03:54 AM by (unknown) »
How many windmills do I have to build to become a windmillologist?

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
Re: Audi induction turbo diesel wvo generator
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 10:41:40 PM »
sweet project! congratulations .

a stationary engine would be fun to experiment with.

i'm curious , do you get manifold pressure from the turbo at 1500rpm?

what about water injection?

maybe you could use your wind mills for electrolysis and feed a little bit of hydrogen and oxygen  in there too.

have fun.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 10:41:40 PM by electrondady1 »

Hilltopgrange

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 06:13:04 AM »
Hi electrondady1 thanks for the reply. I dont have an accurate vacuum gauge but the manifold is showing a positive pressure but only just. I was going to do away with turbo but the ECU requires signals from the MAF sensor etc so it was easier to just leave it on. Ive never played with water or hydrogen injection as yet but maybe someday lol. Thanks again

Russell
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 06:13:04 AM by Hilltopgrange »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 09:00:51 AM »
Don't forget to recover the heat from the exhaust system too. Don't pull too much heat from the cooling system or you will shorten the life of the engine.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 09:00:51 AM by wooferhound »

spinningmagnets

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 07:19:16 PM »
Great project! I recommend starting off either attached to the grid, and gradually wean yourself off with WInd/Solar/Hydro,...OR, start off with a WVO generator to ensure you always have power, then add WI/S/H as you are able. You are my new hero! You can run the WVO genny on saturday to charge up the battery and run the clothes washer (plus any other heavy loads!) and then let a wind genny keep the battery topped off through the week (TV, lights, music, etc).

Concerning wires, feel how hot they are when under full load. If they are never too hot to hold your hand on them continually, they're fine. If you need thicker wire, two parallel free wires might handle as many watts as one expensive wire.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 07:19:16 PM by spinningmagnets »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 07:55:30 PM »
That's just too cool.

I have an '81 VW Caddy diesel. It scares the crap out of me to drive it on the roads around here, it's just so small, and everything else is so big. I know it would be a good candidate for generator conversion, especially with no EFI or turbo to deal with.

I'm so jealous of you guys who have the time and gumption to do a project like this. Thanks for posting with all the pictures. Truly in the spirit of the Otherpower board, if you ask me.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 07:55:30 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 08:38:17 PM »
Volvo;

Truly in the spirit of the Otherpower board, if you ask me.

My feelings, exactly. I will take any "I did this" post over the talkers with a big idea any day.

Hilltoprange;

Bravo, super project and lots of nice pictures. I love the one with the genny on the engine in the vehicle.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 08:38:17 PM by TomW »

domwild

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 12:39:17 AM »
Well done! Recycling par excellence! I am green with envy!

Regards,

« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 12:39:17 AM by domwild »

Hilltopgrange

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 07:35:21 AM »
Hi Woof, thanks for the input. My plan is to recover heat from the exhaust as you suggest into our heating system and also to preheat the oil for filtering etc. At present I heat the oil in an old fridge that is on its back with a small houshold radiator fitted inside and hooked up to the central heating, it works well but to be honest it looks a bit of a mess. I need to get some stainless pipe to make a good job of it, I have to many projects and not enough time lol.

Thanks again

Russell

« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 07:35:21 AM by Hilltopgrange »

Hilltopgrange

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 07:56:02 AM »
Hi, thanks for the nice comments. I have two wind turbines flying and they provide about 50% of our needs, I also have another two in progress but they have been put on the back burner untill I get this gen sorted. The diesel gen will be charging my two main battery banks and will also be used to power some 3 phase machines in the workshop. I have also fitted an extra 100a alternator in place of the power steering pump this is to charge a 3rd battery bank that will run a 12v inverter to power my central heating system it has a 600w heating element in a small preheat tank although I will be swaping it out for a 300w, just need to find the time to fit it.

I live in Northern Ireland UK and to be truthfull solar is not a viable option. Sunshine is a very rare thing over here lol when we get a sunny day thay proclaim a natonal holiday. I am in the Mourne Mountains so I have plenty of wind, if anything maybe to much! I would love to have a go at hydro but my nearest source is the river Bann about a mile away. If I could find a way to use rainfall I could be onto a winner!

The wiring from the gen will be with 6mm cables but I am not sure as to the cap cables, they will be very short under 2ft each, best bet would be to make them as heavy as possible and just monitor the temp.

Thanks again for your comments!

Russell

« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 07:56:02 AM by Hilltopgrange »

Hilltopgrange

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 08:07:24 AM »
Hi Volvo farmer

I was originally going to use a 1600 VW Golf diesel with no turbo or electronics to worry about but the deal for the car fell through. The guy wanted money for it!! I was keen but not that keen lol it would have been a lot easier and quicker. The Audi with all its electronics caused a few problems but now that I have them sorted I think it may work out better the throtle is worked via resistance so I may be able to build a controller to monitor and regulate the voltage. Your VW diesel would be a very good candidate for vegie they run a treat on it and are very easy to convert!

Thanks again

Russell

« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 08:07:24 AM by Hilltopgrange »

Hilltopgrange

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 08:13:28 AM »
Hi domwild thanks for the comments an old guy I used to work with had a saying that sums this site up "Necessity is the mother of  invention" it is so very true.

Regards Russell

« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 08:13:28 AM by Hilltopgrange »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 10:27:27 AM »
hilltoprange;

Nice grab!! and the total price is way cool

I see you too have a portable leakage finder :_)

A few questions about the WVO , how far down are you filtering the stuff? and how long are you allowing it to settle before using it?

Will the WVO be used straight or are you later going to be in the mode to convert it to B100?

Pepa , has a ton of knowledge about letting the oil sit for a spell , before using it.

I've seen the container that he uses for his WVO projects , and mostly it's been sitting for 2 weeks. The stuff coming out of it is as clean as new.

My question about converting it to B100 is from seeing some of the MB 80's era motors that are using not-so-clean WVO and they are seeing a lot of cokeing problems. I have an 83 5cyl 300 and of course won't yank it just yet, but I've made sure and use/test its cleanliness with dino-diesel and various blends and have currently settled on a B70 that seems to get me the best mileage and pep.

With respect to the capturing the extra heat, you'll need a way to kind of monitor the heat extraction; the ECU and to a small point the turbo are dependant on the heat and will need to stay within a given range for optimum use (Audi, MB and VW love the 80C range)

The flex pipe coming off your waste gate on your turbo will be an excellent area to pull the extra heat off as well.

Great pictures too!!

Cheers

Bruce S

« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 10:27:27 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Hilltopgrange

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 03:41:12 PM »
Hi TomW,

Thanks for the comments. The pic with the motor on test gives a new meaning to the term E.V. but it would need one heck of an extension cable! lol it served a purpose for the test but I wouldn't want to drive to far.

Regards Russell

« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 03:41:12 PM by Hilltopgrange »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 03:45:06 PM »
Just noticed they built that car with the steering wheel on the wrong side.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 03:45:06 PM by TomW »

fungus

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 03:49:26 PM »
Only if it was in the U$.. ;-)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 03:49:26 PM by fungus »

Hilltopgrange

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 04:31:01 PM »
Hi Bruce, thanks for the response.

I get more oil than I can use, this week alone I got 80 gal of WVO and about 100 gal of WMO. I  tank it into 1000 lt cube tanks and let it sit for a few weeks this lets the water and crud settle, I then pump the cleanish oil to a heated tank where I let it come up to about 40c which thins it and seems to remove any remaining water. I then drain of the oil from about 6 inchs from the bottom and I filter through a 5 micron filter sock, I get these filters from a farm supply shop they are used to filter milk . My oil fired boiler also has a in line hydraulic filter as used in heavy plant and this seems to be sufficient for the boiler, it has been running now for about a year without any problems I also blend WMO with it depending on what I have at the time.

My car is also an Audi 80 TDi and I run it on a blend of diesel and wvo and I filter it down to 1 micron the mix is 75% wvo 25% diesel and I change the standard fuel filter monthly, I have a pre-heater fitted just before the filter and another one just before the injector pump.  I also give her a run on straight diesel with injector cleaner every 2-3 months or so and so far I haven't had any problems I am into my second year now on WVO and it has proved itself.

I understand your thinking with the heat recovery and intend to control the eng temp with an electronic thermostate and solenoid valve but the main recovery will be from the exhaust. The plan is to replace a 6ft section of the exhaust with two stainless pipes inside each other to create a water jacket and pipe this to a heat exchanger in the hot tank of the house or to my preheating tank. The other plan is to take the original pipe work that went to the cars heater and use it to pre-heat the fuel tank for the gen. I will be using a similar blend of diesel and wvo as the car but I will be able to use red diesel that is for agri use, I have a tank of red as I have a digger and a few other machines that are allowed to use it.

Bio diesel in my opinion is too much work plus I would have extreme difficulty getting the methanol ect. I live in Northern Ireland and as a result of our turbulent past chemicals are not so easy to get, loads of red tape, licences and inspections plus you have the waste glycerine to get rid off. The way I run at present there is almost zero waste, the only thing to get rid off is the crud from wvo ie old fries and bits of fish etc, you may laugh at this but I don't waste it either I mix it with waste beef lard/dripping that I also get from the local fish and chip shop heat it up and then mix with wood shavings and saw dust that absorb it, I then roll it in newspaper like a large sausage and leave them aside to harden these then run an old Wellstood stove in the kitchen. These also make a really good fire lighter just light the corner of the paper and your away!

Waste not want not is my motto lol

Thanks again

Russell

« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 04:31:01 PM by Hilltopgrange »

Hilltopgrange

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2007, 04:48:09 PM »
The steering wheel is only on the wrong side if you drive on the wrong side of the road! lol there was joke that went around a few years ago that our neighbours the Republic of Ireland where going to change over and drive on the right in line with the rest of Europe, the word was that they were going to move the buses and lorries over first! only joking lol

Regards Russell

I hope this posts as I keep getting locked out with answering all the replies.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 04:48:09 PM by Hilltopgrange »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 07:56:26 AM »
hilltoprange;

Thanks for the update. I must say I've not read or talked to someone other than Pepa that has not only thought this out but has put it all into action as well.

I will certainly take your ideas of mixing the WVO with diesel a try. Even though I live in an agra-based state , getting those filters would be hard, I have found that by using old blue-jeans I can filter the WVO down to the 5 micron level as well , and the patience of waiting for it to settle is a big plus!!

The MB has a built-in preheater it is the type that finally came with a automatic glow plug.:-).

My apologies I did not see the steering wheel and "assumed" USA.

Menthanol, here is getting harder (costing more) to purchase do to all the extra people buying it, so your information about how well WVO works with the blend is encouraging.

The LARD stuff usage is good to know as well.

Usually cast-off Lye is going towards keeping the drain pipes clean since it is mostly used up anyway.

Back on track with a twist, the elcetric motor and start caps, has a flux capacitor Back-To-The-Future look of it:~D. you up to getting 1.3gigawatts out of it yet:-/

Cheers

Bruce S

« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 07:56:26 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 09:44:40 AM »
i keep looking at this rig you have built.

the more i look the more i want one or something similar

the turbo and electronic controls make it kind of complex but a challenge to work around.

don't forget there is an entire industry centered around  after market engine computer control systems. were you can dial in your own parameters.

one thing i would like to see is an exhaust gas temperature sensor. up stream of the

turbo.

that would really let you know what was happening internally.

helpful if you are using alternative fuels.

building a water jacket on the exhaust will be a great way to capture energy.

that might also be the place to inject air, water, hydrogen, oxygen,or fish bits !

please keep us informed with your progress .
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 09:44:40 AM by electrondady1 »